• Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says
I hate it when a buyer starts arguing for top notch quality on sale for less than 20 bucks.

There are some themes I downloaded sometimes even paid $40 to some of them and all the reason was that I liked a button in it, a button.

I’m not too rich, but never ignore awesomeness. Some people have to respect talent and quality.

+1

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Name one other industry/website/product that does business this way except for strip joints with a high cover and 2 drink minimum.

Clearly there’s a little bit of a misunderstanding going on here. You do understand that your deposit is for you to spend on the marketplaces, right? It’s not a cover charge or anything silly like that.

I suppose I understand where you’re coming from in terms of wanting to just pay for a specific product and check out… that’s fine. However, most online micro-stock websites require that you make a deposit before actually downloading product – iStock is just one, and I can name quite a few other major stock outlets that require a balance to buy products rather than a “pay per product” model. Envato’s not doing anything devious here – its relatively status quo to work under this purchase model when you are selling files under $20. You put some money into your account, buy some products, and refill the balance when you want to buy more.

A lot of buyers have suggested that allowing custom deposits (ie: a $6 deposit if all you want to do is buy a $6 file) would be nice, but all in all the deposit system is working for most buyers. Furthermore, as a few have noted, the admins are working on new solutions that are better for buyers and viable from a business standpoint.

In regards to your strip club analogy – which is just wierd btw. When you start comparing buying PHP files with a strip club, I seriously have to consider your taste in strip clubs… or PHP files… or I don’t even know what. This is like comparing which hardware store you want to buy a screwdriver at with which Tijuana bar has the best bathrooms. Aside from the fact that they are both businesses in the abstract, they have absolutely nothing in common that’s worth mentioning. A better comparison might have been anyone from Amazon to the myriad of other stock marketplaces out there… but a strip club? really? I’m pretty sure you’ve simply misunderstood that the deposit is something like a cover-charge before you actually buy a product, but the analogy made me chuckle nonetheless. That, or I’ve simply missed the page on UrbanDictionary that explains the more nefarious definition of a “PHP file”, in which case this misunderstanding has truly reached levels of hilarity previously unseen in this forum.

Good luck sorting this out :) I hope ya find the PHP script that you’re hunting for.

537 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
Hein says
I hate it when a buyer starts arguing for top notch quality on sale for less than 20 bucks.

There are some themes I downloaded sometimes even paid $40 to some of them and all the reason was that I liked a button in it, a button.

I’m not too rich, but never ignore awesomeness. Some people have to respect talent and quality.

+100.000 :D

56 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jigowatt says

As crazy and ludicrous as the post sounds there is a point here… I too would be a bit cheesed off if I wanted to buy a simple script for $3 but then found out the minimum amount I could deposit was $20… I know $20 is hardly breaking the bank but it makes that $3 product suddenly more expensive and puts a sour taste in the mouth.

I can totally understand the point… You would be annoyed if you went to an out of town shop for a can of coke only to be told you had to spend at least $20 when you get to the cash register… You would walk out the door without looking back. Which is a shame for the consumer, the retailer (Author) and Coke (ThemeForest :)).

I know there’s thousands of other awesome products on ThemeForest to buy with the spare $17 but if you literally just wanted the one script it is a bit of a pain in the butt.

As an author I believe it would be beneficial to myself, other authors and ThemeForest if there was an option to just buy a product directly without making a deposit, although I imagine that would pretty much screw the system as it works currently. Eep!

364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeKioken says

People, do the math. If you were Envato, you would know that when someone directly buys a $5 item via paypal (which is one of the few options), paypal takes %5 of it, and then up to %70 of it (without paypal cut fee – it doesn’t concern the author) goes to the author.

And then, what penny envato earns from that $5? Of course they had to set a minimum withdrawal amount not to go bankrupt of all those fees taken, since items in here are not higher than $35-$40 at most.

If the items were at least $70 and above, go ahead buy directly, it wouldn’t hurt anyone. But $1 item with direct sale will make the market earn nothing, even maybe go minus on the account balance.

So, I am just sure that there is NO way Envato will drop minimum withdrawal amount but come up with another buyer friendly solutions.

214 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
Pandemic says

Let’s say the average author earns 50% commission. Not even close to that high, but we’ll use that for argument’s sake.

And let’s say Envato accepts $5 deposits. Reasonable for the buyers. Paypal takes…say 4%. That’s 20 cents.

$4.80 is left.

And let’s say the script costs $4.00. The author get’s $2.00. Envato makes $2.80 off the transaction, since the user probably isn’t going to use that $1 if they’re just buying one thing.

$2.80 is pretty good for basically doing nothing.

If authors received better commissions, you might have a point. But most don’t even receive half the money earned for their work. That’s just sad. I think commissions should start at 50%.

People, do the math. If you were Envato, you would know that when someone directly buys a $5 item via paypal (which is one of the few options), paypal takes %5 of it, and then up to %70 of it (without paypal cut fee – it doesn’t concern the author) goes to the author.

And then, what penny envato earns from that $5? Of course they had to set a minimum withdrawal amount not to go bankrupt of all those fees taken, since items in here are not higher than $35-$40 at most.

If the items were at least $70 and above, go ahead buy directly, it wouldn’t hurt anyone. But $1 item with direct sale will make the market earn nothing, even maybe go minus on the account balance.

So, I am just sure that there is NO way Envato will drop minimum withdrawal amount but come up with another buyer friendly solutions.
364 posts Onuro
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
ThemeKioken says

Doing nothing?=) I guess it’s you paying the bandwith bills and marketing costs then. Why am I explaining anyways, ok you are all right =)

And you buyer, I bless you man, bless you puh puh puh. lol.

56 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jigowatt says

Onuro you make a good point, the profits on Envatos side if someone can signup and spend only $3 is minimal but it is still a profit which they (and we) could be missing out on. I’m not sure how they could go into the red by doing this?

Obviously we have no idea how many people come to ThemeForest to buy cheap $3 – $6 products (granted its probably not many) but I bet the figure would still add up over a year.

Plus there’s always a chance these people will come back after their happy experience whilst angry customers who left with a bitter taste in their mouths will want nothing to do with the site ever again.

I guess this has only become a problem recently with the addition of PHP and JS categories where the average cost of a product is probably less than $5…

214 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Pandemic says

I’m not sure how much marketing they do. And it’s not like bandwidth costs $2.80 per visitor.

Doing nothing?=) I guess it’s you paying the bandwith bills and marketing costs then. Why am I explaining anyways, ok you are all right =) And you buyer, I bless you man, bless you puh puh puh. lol.
988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

marketing?...which marketing?...they ask us authors to advertise our own stuff and still charge us 60%!!! Interesting for you would be to read this thread ...i start to ask my self why i am still here LOL .

Regarding the topic, i think the buyer is right here, you never know how many potential buyers (that anyways we get very hard into here) ignoring to buy from Envato just of this reason, now tell me…is that a win? Let’s just hope the new updates will allove buyers to buy directly without they get required for upfront deposites.

by
by
by
by
by
by