• Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says
To be honest I was annoyed by this as well some while ago on a different, now closed buyer account. I think I actually let some funds ‘expire’.
That’s impossible, as these funds expire after a year, and you’re only member for a month (or 2)..

You did read the part where I mentioned I had a different account which is no longer active, right?

Sorry, no :)
I think I was sleepy or something :P

1 post
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
jkcole says

I have no problem with registering, but I have to agree with the OP’s taking Envato to task for minimum deposits. If I want a specific item for $5, I want to spend $5—not $20 in the hope that I can spend the leftovers over the next year before the credits expire.

I’m also a consumer, not an author, and from that perspective having a “Just Buy It” option simply makes good business sense. I also wouldn’t have a problem with sites that charge more to cover the PayPal fee, as long as I didn’t have jump through a second hoop just to buy something.

All this as I wait for my ‘deposit’ to show up on my account so I can buy the birthday bundle.

9 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
syndix says

I stopped reading after the “Let’s compare this to a strip club” ... The bottom line is this.. and don’t mean this to be argumentative; I mean this to be the god’s honest truth.

You will not find better, higher quality, ready-to-use themes on the internet. Period. I know because I’ve looked.

I’ve purchased numerous themes for numerous projects.. designs that I would’ve paid AT LEAST $500 to START (even though I know capital letters don’t exist on the internet, sorry).

So what.. I have to put down $20 to buy a theme that’s $12? Then I have $8 left that I can’t do anything with.. oh poor me..

Wait.. I just bought a theme for TWELVE effing dollars.. are you serious? So I saved $500 something dollars and I’m going to complain about putting down $20?

No, that would be silly.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

What I don’t get is why I can’t deposit only $20.00 and not be able to buy every item these marketplaces have to offer with it. I’m an author, but I can wonder these things as a customer too, can’t I? I deserve to get every item these marketplaces have to offer because I’m a loyal customer when it counts. I feel taken advantage of.

4247 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

By the way, I was pretending to be greedy. I’m pretty good, no? :D

39 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
inkaudio says

Based on the consumer responses I’m thinking the best solutions is higher prices or buying credits like istockphoto.com which is probably the biggest stock company online.

43 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
sunschild57 says

It’s funny. I always seem to find a way to spend all of my deposit. A web template here, a graphic there. I love the envato marketplace!

2529 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey guys. Just a note that we’re aware of these concerns. We’ve discussed, quite a bit, the idea of offering an alternative payment system. If/when we make a change, I’ll notify everyone immediately.

10 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
circuitbomb says

To be honest, the first time I needed something from a marketplace, I decided to register, and realized the deposit.

Ok well, I was a little like ‘phleack blurby blurby…wtf!’

I won’t deny this feeling, but almost immediately after browsing through the website, I was put at ease, primarily because I knew I would continue to buy products from the great authors here, and because I would want to eventually sell my own.

177 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
stylus1274 says
To be honest, the first time I needed something from a marketplace, I decided to register, and realized the deposit.

Ok well, I was a little like ‘phleack blurby blurby…wtf!’

I won’t deny this feeling, but almost immediately after browsing through the website, I was put at ease, primarily because I knew I would continue to buy products from the great authors here, and because I would want to eventually sell my own.

I agree with that for the most part. I don’t mind signing up. Big deal it takes a few minutes.

What I didn’t care for, and many of you have said this, is why I have to deposit a minimum of $20? Heck, even a minimum of $10 would be cool.

Either way I found ways to spend my cash. Now I rarely make a deposit and use the money from a few sales I made here. So it’s a trade off for me.

by
by
by
by
by
by