2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ThemeWinery says

Hi there!

I’ve tried to start my own story in Theme Forest with a simple and minimalistic personal blog WordPress theme called Muscat. Here is demo:

http://muscat.themewinery.com/

After a week of review process, I’ve got a hard rejection because of poor overall quality of the theme. As most of you have great experience in developing and submitting themes, I would like to know your opinion. What should be changed? Or is it hopeless and I should give it up?

2064 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

Could be due to a lack of WordPress features or code quality; It is certainly unique but you don’t really show what it can do.

There are no shortcodes, widgets, modules, or anything really special about the fact it’s a WordPress theme. I don’t think it’d make it as an HTML template either as again it doesn’t really have any features.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
ThemeWinery says

I’m not sure if WordPress features like widgets or shortcodes are the case, because there are themes out there that are not even widget ready and still were approved recently (e.g. Plattan, it is on Theme Forest since April’14). Besides, I have utilized WordPress features (like Customizer) and created widgets, even though my main assumption was to build theme as simple as possible.

Code quality might be the case at first glance. However, HTML is quite odd because of non-standard theme structure and I think reviewer took this into consideration.

Do you think lack of “multipurposity” might be the case?

9 posts
MeRuud says

I haven’t looked at the code of the theme, but I really like the design. Very original. “Multi-purposity” shouldn’t be an issue, there is no way that could be the issue.

What LandonW mentioned in regards to not using enough WordPress features, seems ridiculous as well. That doesn’t seem something to quantify and is very subjective. A theme without any special features should still be able to be accepted, as many might desire this, just in a lower price range to make it comparable to a feature-filled theme. Your references example theme is a great proving point. (Also in regards to this you do seem to be using a sidebar with widgets.)

Only thing I could think of is a missing home page with an overview of blog post (eg, similar to your archive pages). – But again this is a very subjective qualification, which shouldn’t really be considered.

Silly that they don’t provide more structural feedback when rejecting themes.

Good luck!

by
by
by
by
by
by