What are the rules when converting a purchased theme to another platform which Themeforest doesn't support?

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Thenrich says

What are the rules when converting a purchased theme to another platform which Themeforest doesn’t support? I haven’t seen themes for these Platforms: DotNetNuke, nopCommerce, Umbraco, Orchard.. (these are ASP.NET based). These platforms have their own theming and design conventions.

I wanted to know what are the rules or license restrictions if they exist in these three different cases: 1- Converting a purchased theme and using it for my own clients for platforms above 2- Converting a purchased theme and offering it for free to download 3- Converting a purchased theme and selling it

Or are they based on every theme creator and what they allow?

Thanks for any information.

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

2 and 3 would not be allowed unless you have collaborated with the theme author (meaning you have explicit permission from the author, the copyright owner, to do so).

1 is allowed so long as you buy an individual license each time you use the converted theme. You are allowed to do whatever you want with the code, so long as you follow the licensing restrictions of only using it once. You can reuse your customizations of course so long as you buy a new license for each instance.

Hope that helps!

by
by
by
by
by
by