21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
prsjohnny says

I’m considering getting a degree in web design & development somewhere. It has to be somewhere that I can take all required courses online from home. Additionally, I don’t know yet whether I want to go work for/with another company or start up my own business so I’d like the school to look good on a resume. I’ve looked at three schools so far: Full Sail University, International Academy of Design and Technology, and DeVry University. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says
I’m considering getting a degree in web design & development somewhere. It has to be somewhere that I can take all required courses online from home. Additionally, I don’t know yet whether I want to go work for/with another company or start up my own business so I’d like the school to look good on a resume. I’ve looked at three schools so far: Full Sail University, International Academy of Design and Technology, and DeVry University. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking about this myself just the other day… my situation is different from your’s though, as at the moment I’m living in France (I used to live in the UK). My first choice was The Open University as it’s been going a good 40 years now and has 168,850 students from all over the world. From what I’ve gathered it follows a slightly complicated credit based system towards receiving a certificate, then you work your way up to a degree. It doesn’t follows the same rules as other universities and basically you can study from anywhere, it’s just a bit pricey when you don’t live in the UK. I’m not 100% on the ins and outs of it (It makes my head hurt just reading about studying :D ) and I don’t know what your current financial situation is, but it seems like a good option.
I did a little research on it a couple of weeks back and liked the sound of a few of their courses namely :

That makes a total of 150 credits, lol, I have no idea what that means and you have to complete other courses before being able to do some of these… it’s a little confusing without actually talking to someone who can explain it clearly, but you get the general gist of it.

2642 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+18 more
contrastblack Envato team says

If you see the word ECTS it means European Credit Transfer System… At my university, Technical University Vienna, Austria, under the bachelor for Architecture, 3 ECTS are equal to 90 hours workload (including class, homework time, lab time), and for my profile I need 180 ECTS , where the average course gives you 2 ECTS , and the maximum I found was 10 ECTS for studios, which generally imply literally moving to the University grounds since you need to be there for 10 h a day… some days.

Currently going on 60 ECTS , and am pretty fond of this, but I need to start working in parallel, because prices over here are killing me, and you literally can’t do more than 35 ECTS a year. If you need further details about ECTS credits, and what permissions you need to get certain courses and so on and so forth, just contact me through my profile page.

Best regards, Contrastblack.

114 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Sandi says
If you see the word ECTS it means European Credit Transfer System… At my university, Technical University Vienna, Austria, under the bachelor for Architecture, 3 ECTS are equal .

great! i work at UniWIen:) nice to see people from Vienna on activeden!:)

364 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
chrisfay says

I just finished my undergrad in software engineering this year, walking in May, from University of Phoenix and their program was fairly well rounded. I just needed the piece of paper and had most of the technical skills already, but did hear some frustrations from other [greener] students trying to keep pace with their course’s progression schedule (5 weeks each once you get into the core classes). The courses are year round, so you never have time to back out, give up, whatever. I actually quite enjoyed it. I actually started out at Axia and did my gen eds there as well, the full 4 year push.

The cost is higher due to convenience, but it was my only option at 25 with two kids and a full time job – highly recommended for anyone trying to wrap up their degree in a similar situation. As far as the university’s perception – I think it depends on who you talk to – it’s fully accredited by the higher learning commission and a member of the NCA . From the employers perspective, I personally think it really boils down to showing you have the ability to complete the goal and less about the specific University title – experience always wins anyway, so getting your degree, some experience, certs, whatever, and showing your passion for your industry are more important than the actual name of the University itself imho.

Good luck!

8273 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
your degree, some experience, certs, whatever, and showing your passion for your industry are more important than the actual name of the University itself imho. Good luck!

Yeah i’d agree and to be honest in this industry its portfolio. I graduated last year from Aston, UK and its just the silver lining mentioning First Class Honours and Awards – clients dont really care that much, they just want the work done…

240 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Canada
rarepearldesign says

University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Bachelors of Computer Science, Major in Information Systems

4908 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I’ve actually been looking into online degrees as well. I started college and never finished it and I don’t necessarily think I need a degree, I kind of just want one. Sort of a just a life goal. I’m also in your boat and the only option is an online program.

I can tell you that I have a few friends that graduated from DeVry. They went to one of the schools (not online), and all of them were not happy with their experience.

I’ve been doing some research and FullSail looks very promising. From what I’ve read the actual school itself gets less than great reviews. Many on-campus students complaining about the school spending all of their time and effort in making the campus look nice and working on the online program that they neglect the on-campus program quite a bit. I also went through and read a lot of reviews from students attending the online program that all seem to be very happy with things. Its at the top of my list if I do decide to make the jump. I gotta check out that other one you mentioned now, I haven’t heard of it before.

443 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
SplitV says
I’ve been doing some research and FullSail looks very promising. From what I’ve read the actual school itself gets less than great reviews. Many on-campus students complaining about the school spending all of their time and effort in making the campus look nice and working on the online program that they neglect the on-campus program quite a bit. I also went through and read a lot of reviews from students attending the online program that all seem to be very happy with things. Its at the top of my list if I do decide to make the jump. I gotta check out that other one you mentioned now, I haven’t heard of it before.

I know quite a few people who have went to FullSail as ‘on-campus’ students and are very happy with it. The work load seems to be quite a bit higher then a regular university but that is also because it is a year round accelerated program. I do not know anyone who has done the online courses or web development, but as far as game design and sound engineering they are pretty top notch. They offer only nationally accredited programs instead of regionally accredited but in a field such as web design I doubt that would really matter. Just know that you more then likely could never transfer credits to a ‘normal’ university if you decided to transfer at a later time or wanted to further your education with a higher level degree.

4908 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Alright, looks like Full Sail is out. I just started looking around and found a TON of extremely negative reviews from students who graduated, as well as one account from an ex teacher. Apparently the school is not regionally accredited meaning, their degree holds up as a tech certificate, but nothing you take in the school would be transferable or recognized by legitimate colleges. While it wouldn’t matter if you weren’t planning on continuing education past that point, it is a character flaw and shows that its not so legit after all.

by
by
by
by
by
by