• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
rahulbist says

Hi everyone,

I am new to 3d world. I was trying to render a 3d model but it took over 4 hours to render and then it hanged.

I was using 3ds max 2010 and model have over 100,000 polygons.

so, I want to know what configuration is needed to fast rendering.

please advice.

thanks in advance.

128 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
Sealord says

In addition to the complexity of the scene, the render time depends also on the used renderer (scanline-render, mental-ray, v-ray, Brazil, ...) and your hardware (CPU, RAM ,...)

You can configure each renderer for fast rendering (lower quality image) or time consuming rendering (high quality image)

Which renderer do you use in Max?

1567 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
rahulbist says

In addition to the complexity of the scene, the render time depends also on the used renderer (scanline-render, mental-ray, v-ray, Brazil, ...) and your hardware (CPU, RAM ,...)

You can configure each renderer for fast rendering (lower quality image) or time consuming rendering (high quality image)

Which renderer do you use in Max?

vray

17 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MarcoBrunato says

I think you should try to reduce polygons number (simplyfing or cleaning up model) or if you use Vray you can use the vray proxies. Export some models into vray meshes to reduce significantly your file size (in term of polygons) & obtain a better manageable file.

95 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • India
amardeep says

In addition to the rendering software and tweaking its configs, increase your RAM (8GB or more) and get a CPU (speed of at least 3ghz), and also install a good graphic card (nvidia/ATI). Cheers :D !!

128 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
Sealord says
You can find many tutorials for Vray renderer setup eg. http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray-free/vray-20-rollouts-explained.htm But the optimal setting also depends on your scene and what you want to achieve with it.
29 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
Raziel666 says

You can fine tune the renderer for best quality/time settings.

& If you want a hardcore render machine, get a Dual Xeon workstation with a nVidia Quadro Card & 16GB RAM .

:D

2276 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

You can fine tune the renderer for best quality/time settings.

& If you want a hardcore render machine, get a Dual Xeon workstation with a nVidia Quadro Card & 16GB RAM .

:D

damn. I got all the above, except I got 24GB :( That must be the reason for which I still manage to get some scenes to render in a crawl :D:D:D

Joking aside. For CPU based rendering, you obviously need a big number of cores, at decent frequencies. You can go the desktop mode, and overclock an i7 to death, or as Raziel said, and the route I went, go for a nice dual-xeon workstation, with 4 cores per processor. I have the 6 cores per cpu version at a mere 2.6Ghz, but it works pretty nice.

Regarding the ram and quadro cards… Unless you work with heavy scenes in general, a hi-profile video card is just pointless (I am talking about quadro4000 and up). For GPU rendering, yes, a few extra cuda cores will aid greatly, in the same manner the cpu cores might for cpu rendering, but otherwise you spend a heap of money just to feel pro on something you might not even need.

Ram wise, there’s no limit. 16 GB is little if you have to deal with HD video editing and compositing of clips that are larger than 15 seconds. For instance, I rendered a scene last week for a client, and composited the output at full-hd rez in AE, and the system was using about 16.4 GB ram while rendering the final comp. Seeing that, I’d go even higher. But then again, you only REALLY need HD for broadcast stuff and movies, which usually pay enough to afford a workstation for that job alone (profit excluded)

Just my opinion on the hardware part. Software wise, no build in the world, short of a renderfarm of course, will “quickly” render a badly put-together scene with wrong render settings, no matter the render engine, program, and build. A big part of 3D is also the technical aspect of understanding what sample counts, what texture sizes and so on are actually needed to give you the best output for the given profit. If you’re not doing this for profit, you have to work either twice as hard on figuring out the above settings, or stick with the “model now” render overnight – over the year method.

29 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Raziel666 says

Yep ur right Contrastblack. & Yeah, Quadros could be a waste of money unless u r working for some high end hollywood style CGI imo :P Anyways I’m happy with my i7 2600K @ 4GHz :P Render times are far better compared to my old dual core PC. Can’t afford Xeons at the moment.

2276 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+13 more
contrastblack Staff says

Yep ur right Contrastblack. & Yeah, Quadros could be a waste of money unless u r working for some high end hollywood style CGI imo :P Anyways I’m happy with my i7 2600K @ 4GHz :P Render times are far better compared to my old dual core PC. Can’t afford Xeons at the moment.

I know the feeling mate. Used to be on a dualcore laptop before I built my own watercooled workstation (for the same reason – that of cutting costs. I got the same build quoted for up to 5.5k Euros, where I managed to build it under 3.5 incl. watercooling).

I hear only good stuff about the o/c i7’s. My next investment is a EVGA SR 2 , because my current mb doesn’t support a lot of o/c options atm (server mentality) :D

by
by
by
by
by
by