1568 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
rahulbist says

Hi everyone,

I am new to 3d world. I was trying to render a 3d model but it took over 4 hours to render and then it hanged.

I was using 3ds max 2010 and model have over 100,000 polygons.

so, I want to know what configuration is needed to fast rendering.

please advice.

thanks in advance.

149 posts
  • Located in Germany
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
Sealord says

In addition to the complexity of the scene, the render time depends also on the used renderer (scanline-render, mental-ray, v-ray, Brazil, ...) and your hardware (CPU, RAM ,...)

You can configure each renderer for fast rendering (lower quality image) or time consuming rendering (high quality image)

Which renderer do you use in Max?

1568 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
rahulbist says

In addition to the complexity of the scene, the render time depends also on the used renderer (scanline-render, mental-ray, v-ray, Brazil, ...) and your hardware (CPU, RAM ,...)

You can configure each renderer for fast rendering (lower quality image) or time consuming rendering (high quality image)

Which renderer do you use in Max?

vray

17 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
MarcoBrunato says

I think you should try to reduce polygons number (simplyfing or cleaning up model) or if you use Vray you can use the vray proxies. Export some models into vray meshes to reduce significantly your file size (in term of polygons) & obtain a better manageable file.

113 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
amardeep says

In addition to the rendering software and tweaking its configs, increase your RAM (8GB or more) and get a CPU (speed of at least 3ghz), and also install a good graphic card (nvidia/ATI). Cheers :D !!

149 posts
  • Located in Germany
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
Sealord says
You can find many tutorials for Vray renderer setup eg. http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray-free/vray-20-rollouts-explained.htm But the optimal setting also depends on your scene and what you want to achieve with it.
29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Raziel666 says

You can fine tune the renderer for best quality/time settings.

& If you want a hardcore render machine, get a Dual Xeon workstation with a nVidia Quadro Card & 16GB RAM .

:D

2660 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

You can fine tune the renderer for best quality/time settings.

& If you want a hardcore render machine, get a Dual Xeon workstation with a nVidia Quadro Card & 16GB RAM .

:D

damn. I got all the above, except I got 24GB :( That must be the reason for which I still manage to get some scenes to render in a crawl :D:D:D

Joking aside. For CPU based rendering, you obviously need a big number of cores, at decent frequencies. You can go the desktop mode, and overclock an i7 to death, or as Raziel said, and the route I went, go for a nice dual-xeon workstation, with 4 cores per processor. I have the 6 cores per cpu version at a mere 2.6Ghz, but it works pretty nice.

Regarding the ram and quadro cards… Unless you work with heavy scenes in general, a hi-profile video card is just pointless (I am talking about quadro4000 and up). For GPU rendering, yes, a few extra cuda cores will aid greatly, in the same manner the cpu cores might for cpu rendering, but otherwise you spend a heap of money just to feel pro on something you might not even need.

Ram wise, there’s no limit. 16 GB is little if you have to deal with HD video editing and compositing of clips that are larger than 15 seconds. For instance, I rendered a scene last week for a client, and composited the output at full-hd rez in AE, and the system was using about 16.4 GB ram while rendering the final comp. Seeing that, I’d go even higher. But then again, you only REALLY need HD for broadcast stuff and movies, which usually pay enough to afford a workstation for that job alone (profit excluded)

Just my opinion on the hardware part. Software wise, no build in the world, short of a renderfarm of course, will “quickly” render a badly put-together scene with wrong render settings, no matter the render engine, program, and build. A big part of 3D is also the technical aspect of understanding what sample counts, what texture sizes and so on are actually needed to give you the best output for the given profit. If you’re not doing this for profit, you have to work either twice as hard on figuring out the above settings, or stick with the “model now” render overnight – over the year method.

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Raziel666 says

Yep ur right Contrastblack. & Yeah, Quadros could be a waste of money unless u r working for some high end hollywood style CGI imo :P Anyways I’m happy with my i7 2600K @ 4GHz :P Render times are far better compared to my old dual core PC. Can’t afford Xeons at the moment.

2660 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

Yep ur right Contrastblack. & Yeah, Quadros could be a waste of money unless u r working for some high end hollywood style CGI imo :P Anyways I’m happy with my i7 2600K @ 4GHz :P Render times are far better compared to my old dual core PC. Can’t afford Xeons at the moment.

I know the feeling mate. Used to be on a dualcore laptop before I built my own watercooled workstation (for the same reason – that of cutting costs. I got the same build quoted for up to 5.5k Euros, where I managed to build it under 3.5 incl. watercooling).

I hear only good stuff about the o/c i7’s. My next investment is a EVGA SR 2 , because my current mb doesn’t support a lot of o/c options atm (server mentality) :D

by
by
by
by
by
by