23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
MattLowden says

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about this quite a lot recently. I originally built my files with a CMS and included sets of examples so users could style / customize the scripts exactly how they wanted.

I built them like this so that they could be integrated into an existing site / modified more easily.

They sold quite well but people seemed to want a more solid and compelte product so I’ve recently updated them as more complete, standalone products and they don’t seem to have sold particularly well this past week even thought I personally think they are far superior products.

My question is what do you think users typically want? Do they want something that they can ‘install’ and then customize themselves or something that requires absolutely no additional work.

(Obviously both should be possible with your scripts but I’m just wondering what you think the majority of users look for).

Thanks for reading!

Matt.

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says

I am thinking about this every time I start building a script. In my opinion there is no absolute answer for this. Itreally depends on what kind of application you are building. Some of them are built for customization, and some are really standalone applications.

30 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
TwoJStudios says

Thought I would respond to this one. As a purchaser of almost 100 scripts now, it really depends on what my use of the script will be. If it is for a client’s site, I want it to be 100% customizable – PSD files included.

If it is for me, or my site – I still want the option to customize it, but it is not as needed as much as for clients sites. Does that make sense?

I am always on the look out for things that make my Freelance life that much easier. PHP contact forms, Easy client friendly CMS back ends, etc.

I would love to see an accounting type PHP script make it up here, something that lets me track incoming and outgoing money, both to vendors and employees. MS Money, Quickbooks and such are just so overkill. I have been unsuccessful at finding anything that works for me. Just a thought…

Thanks!

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+2 more
jwmcpeak says

Bear in mind that a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You’ll have weeks of high sales and weeks of low sales; it could’ve been a low week. Ride it out for a month or so and then reevaluate.

23 posts
+3 more
MattLowden says

Bear in mind that a week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You’ll have weeks of high sales and weeks of low sales; it could’ve been a low week. Ride it out for a month or so and then reevaluate.

That’s certainly a good point. I tend to get a large numbers of sales over short periods of time. Odd how that works out.

Matt.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says
I would love to see an accounting type PHP script make it up here, something that lets me track incoming and outgoing money, both to vendors and employees. MS Money, Quickbooks and such are just so overkill. I have been unsuccessful at finding anything that works for me. Just a thought…

Use Mint.com. It’s the single best money tracking system I’ve ever seen and used.

30 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
TwoJStudios says

Use Mint.com. It’s the single best money tracking system I’ve ever seen and used.

Thanks! I signed up this morning. Looks like just what I needed both for my Freelance business, and my personal life!

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

Thanks! I signed up this morning. Looks like just what I needed both for my Freelance business, and my personal life!

I’ve been using it for exactly that for over a year now and I cannot say just how much it has improved the financial aspect of my life and my business.

23 posts
+3 more
MattLowden says

I’ve been using it for exactly that for over a year now and I cannot say just how much it has improved the financial aspect of my life and my business.

Mint.com does look great. I’m waiting for it to come to the UK..!

Matt.

by
by
by
by
by
by