64 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
CodeBotics says

Hi all! I’ve just finished building and installing a new WordPress theme on my own website. It used to just use a modified Twenty Eleven, but that doesn’t exactly scream “I’m a good web designer”, so I’ve finally got round to creating my own theme. It took me a couple of days, and you can see the result here.

So, what can be approved?

Thanks in advance! Toby

349 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
kops says

The kerning in your logo is way out.

For me, the body text font size is too large . Those banners need work. The Wordpress one is fugly and the padding around the text in all the stitched labels needs to be larger and reduce the font size again.

The grammar throughout needs work. Examples: B&B’s -> B&Bs one page websites, to full -> one page websites to full

The whole design is a little bland – it just screams ‘meh’ to me.

Sorry it’s not what you want to hear,

J

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

Thank you for the feedback, it is in fact exactly what I wanted to hear! I’ve always called myself a web developer and done stuff like converting PSDs to WordPress themes, stuff that doesn’t require much design because it’s really not something I’m great at. I’m slowly getting better at it, but I need criticism like that to help me find out where I’m going wrong!

Which direction is the kerning out, do I need to stretch the letters further apart?

Agreed, having looked at those slides again since I made them at 11pm last night, they’re pretty awful. I really don’t like that brown… What do you think would look good?

The whole thing needs proofreading, thanks for pointing out those two errors.

Also, it’s worth noting that I’d accidentally set the header image wrongly before – it does have a bit more colour than it did when you were looking at it!

1237 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
  • Halloween Competition Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

I’d check your code… http://d.pr/i/AutK I’m sure there’s supposed to be something inbetween them there head tags ;)

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

Hahahaha! Google Chrome’s ability to fix my mistakes truly amazes me!

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

Right, I’ve fixed that stupid mistake!

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

Okay, I’ve made some changes – unleash the criticism! :P

1237 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Won a Competition
  • Halloween Competition Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
LoveThemes says

Ok, here goes, it’s pretty harsh but I think that helps improvement!

DESIGN :

I think the screenie says it all. http://awesomescreenshot.com/074lvuxf8

CODE :

You could really improve the performance. Try combining the JS files and CSS files, less HTTP requests and put all that inline JS into the JS files.

speed speed files

Nesting. h1 then a.

nesting

Broke.

broke

Well, there you go, hope it helps!

-Scott

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

“Looks shit” haha! Do you think you could elaborate on a few things? I’m really struggling to get my head around a lot of design concepts. Every time someone points out stupid things it helps me to see them for myself next time, so I really do appreciate feedback like this.

Are you using a Mac? Several of the fonts look different on my PC – perhaps I should add them, Segoe UI for example, as a font face?

Placeholders look different on my PC on Chrome as well, the font is different and a different size. Nonetheless, I have increased the font size.

Could you elaborate on what’s wrong with the typography? I’ve used Ubuntu for headings and Open Sans for content, and I didn’t think it looked bad..! Again, it looks different for me than it does in that screenshot though.

Colours – I’ve got a lot to learn about colour theory, and I totally agree with you that I’ve used way too many, I count at least 8 including the slider!

These slides are starting to annoy me now, no matter what they do, they seem to look shit. Any suggestions?

The search icon is changing, definitely.

What’s wrong with the spacing? Could you elaborate? (Not the slider navigation things, I see what’s wrong with the spacing there).

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate this kind of helpful criticism as it’s the only way I can improve.

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
CodeBotics says

Also, HTML5 does allow you to wrap block-level elements with a tags.

by
by
by
by
by
by