• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

Awesome stuff Parallelus!! Playing with it and i really like what i see!

Coming from one of our favorite customers, that’s exciting to hear.

35 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
mcollins says

I would love to see a start of video series that will display the power of runway. A series to show creating a simple theme start to finish, as well as a child theme. I assume we can use this to build out plugins?

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

I would love to see a start of video series that will display the power of runway. A series to show creating a simple theme start to finish, as well as a child theme. I assume we can use this to build out plugins?

Videos are on my to do list. The first one will probably be a short overview of the features, something we can show on the home page to summarize a lot of the key functionality. After that I would like to create some video tutorials, but I think it’s important to build out written documentation first. It takes a lot more time to update a video and as the project evolves we will want to cover as much as we can and update it rapidly. Videos are going to be important but it will probably begin with a few and grow with the project.

It’s possible we will add some tools specific to building Extensions and Plugins using the core along with the admin manager and options builder. Right now it is focused on the theme but these are the same things we’re thinking about for future enhancements.

35 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
mcollins says

Even just a few short videos to watch over your shoulders as you build something small will be a huge turning point on this. I am a visual person, and can understand more when I see how and what is being done faster than I can by reading. I usually then turn to documentation when I am looking for something specific that I didn’t grasp in the 2-3minute presentation.

• Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

I’m with you as I am also very visual. I think that’s a common thing for people in design. Those are exactly the kind of videos I’m thinking for the first few we make early on. Something simple, short and informative.

350 posts
  • Australia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
simonswiss says

Awesome stuff Parallelus!! Playing with it and i really like what i see!
Coming from one of our favorite customers, that’s exciting to hear.

Am i one of your favourite customer? Yay! :-)

One question – i am worried about the extensions that seem to integrate the functionalities to the theme – in regards to ThemeForest’s Phase 2 towards WP themes submissions. Is there a way to have these extensions exported to plugins?

Very cool framework otherwise, i really like the option builder, very neat!

3 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
fullercreative says

+1 on the question above. This is why I posted the question on plugin functionality. Question from *mcollins

• Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

One question – i am worried about the extensions that seem to integrate the functionalities to the theme – in regards to ThemeForest’s Phase 2 towards WP themes submissions. Is there a way to have these extensions exported to plugins?

Simon, you’re sharp as a tack, as usual!

Yes, we have something we’re implementing now to address exactly what you described. Extensions are modeled after Plugins so they can easily be converted. To address the TF Phase 2 requirements we will be adding an option to our Plugin Installer Extension which will allow any Extension to be “Installed as plugin”.

We already have a user interface in our Plugin Installer that is modeled from the TGM Plugin Activation class. This allow you to upload plugins during the theme development and specify them to be installed when the theme is activated. It also reduces the work for updating the plugins because you can simply replace the ZIP file and it auto-detects the plugin name, version, etc. instead of having to edit all those things in the code (like TGM requires currently). What we’re about to do is add an option to this area for any Extension to also be installed the same way. It will be automated and all you have to do is check a box to select the Extensions you want to apply this to.

I’m working on a theme now that will be released after the Phase 2 changes. It’s built on Runway and will make use of this feature to create the plugins automatically from the selected Extensions. While at PressNomics I spoke with Scott and Japh from Envato about this and we concluded it would be an easy and necessary feature to have in Runway. In a way it makes the job easier for the developer because they can continue to build themes the way they have and let the framework do the separation.

I think it might be time for me to start a new thread about Runway here on ThemeForest. I think we’ve hijacked this one quite a bit. I’ll start a new thread tonight as a sort of Runway announcement so we can talk about all these things. You can also post questions to our Runway forums any time: http://runwaywp.com/support/

350 posts
  • Australia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
simonswiss says

Yeah, i feel sorry for Ultimatum the way this thread shifted :-)

Man, that looks so promising! I still have a bunch to learn before i can create a TF-ready theme, but Runway is certainly a big help and the documentation in the files of the Liftoff childtheme is extremely insightful to me!

35 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
mcollins says

I have no feeling for the Ultimatum thread whatsoever.. However, I am more interested to follow the new thread for Runway. Please add a link here to the new thread, I will gladly follow that one. Thanks for the heads up.

by
by
by
by
by
by