P&k makes a very good point. When the same files come up everytime you begin to tune them out. I’d rather see a variety of quality files by randomly serving up 5 star files.
hm….5 star files….. even good files are sometimes not rated by the buyers… there are files with 50 sales but only 3 ratings…. that might not be a solution there…. I would place a combination of both: 5 star files and top selling files of that search results.
My answer on the questions
Q1) Should community privileges (ie. forum commenting and file commenting) be a privilege? No… Everybody should have the same rights.
Q2) Are popular search results useful? Yes, they are. But I would rotate those using a combination of 5 star files and top selling files.
And…...... And maybe way to promote not so popular files would be useful and a great thing…... Some kind of Shuffle the results…. or explore which takes you to random files….. there are many many files here that deserve more sales….
1) Yes, too many users who have stolen files try to use the forums/item comments to ask for help. This may not stop all of them from signing up and buying one file, but it will deter most of them.
2) Yes, but i think the other ideas about rotating this is a better idea.
Also.. the Search results need a little tweak… Some authors appear multiple times because they have many similar files. That’s some kind of file spam.
2) yes (kind of)
How about in user preferences, Authors can choose who is able to comment on their items as there seems to be many different opinions here!
And for the 2nd question, i like p&k’s idea. rotation of 30 or so.Also, that could be another preferance in user settings:
in your search results, would you like to see 3 of the best selling items? yes: O no: OAnd i can’t wait until the new site!
1) No everyones entitled to the freedom of speech and it can be moderated and anything inappropriate can be removed.
2) I think maybe it should stay but rather than it being top files again or most popular more of a ” Flashden suggests”. And this could be linked to the keywords and descriptions put in on upload. this way it gives the possibility to other files which have the potential of being great more views rather than those that maybe 2 years up there already and still doing well! ... just an idea!
2. Yes. But it should be in a different method and more useful… As P&k pointed and others suggested… maybe show 5 random items from the top 20-30… Showing the same one all the time is a bit pain…
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! Just one note – you may have noticed that yesterday we released a way to sort search results by sales. So now buyers can find the highest selling search results easily if they wish to. That might influence your feelings on question 2. Carry on, this is really helpful! Thanks everyone!
a. yes b. yes
sidenote, when adding sales to the search result, please also state when the file was uploaded. That gives a better insight and makes a bit ‘fairer’ search method.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.