30 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
parker says

What do you think to this theme: Neon Lights

It is supposed to be a very simple, css based layout. Ideal for blogging etc.

I have already submitted this theme but it was rejected, What do you suggest I change to it? Any ideas?

80 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
+1 more
mads says

When a theme is rejected the reviewer usually gives you a little comment as to why he/she decided to reject the theme. You will probably find the answer there.

If I were a reviewer, I would probably say that this is a little too simple. Also, my eyes are hurting. Try to tone down the contrast a little…

30 posts
parker says

I was hoping to get my answer in the email as to what could be improved, but it was not included…

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

I agree with mads. The contrast is very high. You could also add a few more testpost to display images or ordered/unordered lists so the reviewer can see how it looks.

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

It may be simply that it’s too simple.

1. The theme doesn’t seem to include a few of WordPress essentials such as the Comments page.

2. The header links don’t work.

3. You’re separating the links in the header with actual spaces (not margins/padding).

As Broof said, include more example posts with lists, images etc. to make sure everything is included.

But I think the theme looks fine. The contrast is high, but that may be what someone wants – and it does look good!

30 posts
parker says

@DanHarper:

It may be simply that it’s too simple. I suppose it is, but thats what I was going for.

1. The theme doesn’t seem to include a few of WordPress essentials such as the Comments page. I accidently broke that a minute ago, Ooops.

2. The header links don’t work. They are dummy links (Just to show how they would be). For example: is the code I use.

3. You’re separating the links in the header with actual spaces (not margins/padding). Im a n00b, I’ll change that.

As Broof said, include more example posts with lists, images etc. to make sure everything is included. I’ll Do that ASAP

But I think the theme looks fine. The contrast is high, but that may be what someone wants – and it does look good! Thankyou, I was going for a high contrast layout :)

I’ll fix the above points, then come back and ask if you think I should re-submit! :D

30 posts
parker says

I fixed all the things you guys said, apart from the comments, what do you think: Neon Lights

And about the comments, I think I have totally crippled the file.. I can’t seem to fix it although I wont give up! :)

Any more suggestions?

250 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

In the single.php file you should have: <?php comments_template(); ?> in order for the comments to work, it may be that that is the problem.

My thoughts on the design:

I’m not sure about the distance between the heading (neonlights) and the links, there needs to be some space because when I first saw it I though the “neonlights” was part of the links and it just wrapped onto the next line.

You need to bear in mind that a lot of the people that buy templates on TF especially wordpress are going to be very inexperienced in coding so most people will expect the menu links to update based on the pages they input, it seems to me that these are going to have to be hard coded. To list the pages automatically you can add this code: http://pastie.org/272297 and then do some css styling to the the appropriate style, most free themes do this so just take a look at how they do it.

There’s no link back to the homepage, normally the title would link back but thats not the case here, to link back to the homepage you can do this: http://pastie.org/272302

Finally, download a free theme and take a look at the stylesheet and then take a look at your stylesheet, there are no where near enough of the default styles needed in your stylesheet, you really need to address this because if people buy the template and then add something and there isn’t a style for it then its just going to look wrong.

Just my 2 cents, I hope you take this as constructive criticism, its a nice template and with a bit more work I’m sure it will get approved.

1435 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Hi Parker, I am kailoon. I am also the one who rejected your item. Sorry to say that…

I will send you in more details in the support email. I just gain the access from Envato to the support system.

Cheers :)

by
by
by
by
by
by