35 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • India
QUBESYS says

We are going to release our Magento Templates at Themeforest from next month, so we need to create the documentation for each template now.

I dont want to use Documentor , as users are not okay with html , css , images folder and they get confused.

I simply need a way, so I can have a readymade template with our own header, footer , contents , titles, pages , and we can save to PDF and thats all.

And whenever we want to edit it, we can simply import the PDF and edit right from there.

What tools do you guys normally use ?

439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Pixelous says

Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

3422 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I use HTML documentation exclusively. I’ve never had a customer have a problem with it. It also allows you to publish online and easily link to relevant sections when answering questions.

Plus you can embed videos, embed code, add sensible navigation, provide easier searching, etc.

I highly recommend going that route :)

1468 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Hi QUBESYS ,

I basically use vector based programs like Macromedia FreeHand (Oooopsss, Adobe) or CorelDraw to build my help files, and then export them as PDFs

Wish you good luck with your template.

470 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Israel
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
virtuti says

I use HTML documentation exclusively. I’ve never had a customer have a problem with it. It also allows you to publish online and easily link to relevant sections when answering questions.

Plus you can embed videos, embed code, add sensible navigation, provide easier searching, etc.

I highly recommend going that route :)

Before my latest 3 templates I was stupidly using PDF . Then I realised the scale of stupidity and now prepare html documentation only, because of–see Sevenspark quotation.

439 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Pixelous says

For first theme I stupidly used all these html, css, images folder, etc. You know, it was overloaded, not elegant looking. Then I realised the scale of stupidity and now prepare PDF documentation only.

162 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
anariel7 says

I use HTML documentation :)

470 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Israel
virtuti says

For first theme I stupidly used all these html, css, images folder, etc. You know, it was overloaded, not elegant looking. Then I realised the scale of stupidity and now prepare PDF documentation only.

I as if did not notice your ungrounded sarcasm, I forgive you.

The question: how do you cope with things you forgot to add? For me it was the main point why I switched to html. Let’s say, I wrote a file, submitted template and in a day or two realised that something was forgotten. To bother TF team with reuploading the file is not very convenient, at least I feel so.

Second thing: if you need to add some code example, how do you do that? I use js highlight script, for me it looks and works better than plain copied/pasted piece of code.

Third thing, PDF does not allow embedded video, right? If you need to add some video tutorial– explanation you can place only link, not video itself, do you find it more effective?

I also use js smooth scroll for navigation and “to the top” button (like in websites), I think it makes a boring reading of documentation a little bit more comfortable (and even entertaining) for a customer.

As for elegance, well, depends how you make your html file. Mine I tried to make not less attractive and beautiful than a template itself.

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

At the moment I use Google Docs… at the end I will save the thing as PDF …

140 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
weblusive says

+1 For HTML documentation. Easy to scale, easy to use.

by
by
by
by
by
by