1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

Do you hand code it or do you use Theme Options Toolkit or something of the sort? I’m using the toolkit, but so far, the options don’t look anything like what I’ve seen from Wordpress themes I’ve downloaded.

Any help would be much appreciated.

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
Do you hand code it or do you use Theme Options Toolkit or something of the sort? I’m using the toolkit, but so far, the options don’t look anything like what I’ve seen from Wordpress themes I’ve downloaded. Any help would be much appreciated.

That is a basic framework, is useful but simple, all the great authors here use custom fuctions – Isn’t that easy man but isn’t impossible ;) take a look: http://wpshout.com/create-an-awesome-wordpress-theme-options-page-part-1/

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

I use a lot of Coffee :P

+6 more
PixelBin says

Another question: Since Wordpress has gone GPL , does that mean theme options code is to be freely used and distributed as you wish too?

364 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
chrisfay says
Another question: Since Wordpress has gone GPL , does that mean theme options code is to be freely used and distributed as you wish too?

Technically, I think that’s correct – although I believe I also remember reading that TF will not allow author’s to copy another’s code (ie admin panel logic) into their own themes even though it may be legally allowed.

+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
Technically, I think that’s correct – although I believe I also remember reading that TF will not allow author’s to copy another’s code (ie admin panel logic) into their own themes even though it may be legally allowed.

You can use it only as inspiration but you can’t copy all the fuctions and the code to sell it here that’s the only exception as Chris said. – I think -

+6 more
PixelBin says

I’m getting a little frustrated. I’ve looked at at least 4 articles that show the “best way” to create theme options, which happens to be the same way, and none of them work. This article on the ThemeForest blog (http://blog.themeforest.net/wordpress/create-an-options-page-for-your-wordpress-theme/) doesn’t work. Even the source files that come with the article don’t work, and comments claim it doesn’t work.

Can someone PLEASE help me out with this? What should technically work, doesn’t.

+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

There’s poorly documentation about this Alex, this is basically the “WordPress Secret” I just got the PHP for Absolute Beginners book today.

If we want to develop our own functions we must need to know how the filter and action WordPress hooks works, how to use arrays and all that kind of stuff, as I said isn’t that easy. :)

+6 more
PixelBin says

Ivor, that’s not the thing. There’s just something wrong with the code because even in ThemeForest’s blog entry (one that’s referred to from the “How to Be a Rockstar Wordpress Designer” from FreelanceSwitch), the example code doesn’t work. Where am I supposed to go from if the basics don’t even work? Other than that, I completely understand the structure and how to add and control settings and how to manage the actual site with them.

It would be cool if Dan Harper could comment on this. :)

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ChillThemes says

The tutorial on the ThemeForest blog worked when I tried it awhile back. Try this tutorial: how-to-create-a-theme-options-page-for-your-wordpress-theme

This seems to be the most standard way to create options. The only issue I see with this method is that every single option adds one database entry. consolidate-options-with-arrays-in-your-wordpress-themes/

by
by
by
by
by
by