18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
IlyaDorman says

Except for a manual on how to install and configure the theme, should the files have a documentation also? what should I document?

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
EugeneO says

You want to provide step by step instructions explaining how to do the standard tasks a user of your theme will have to go through and explain how to use as many of the features as you can.

The more thorough your documentation is the fewer support questions you should get (in theory). Even if buyers ask a question answered in the documentation it’s easier to point them to a section in the documentation than it is to re-explain something over and over again.

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
IlyaDorman says

What about a documentation of the code itself for developers?

1688 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

Well, if you have custom pages like page templates, shortcodes, featured slider, etc… you should write step-by-step a tutorial on how they can configure the theme to look just like the demo. And, all the custom stuff you added to the theme, apart from the core wp features, should be well-documented. You wouldn’t want a customer that asks you all kind of questions like “How do I change the facebook icon link” or “How do I add a slider”. It all depends on how well-documented is your theme.

101 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
Zanzad says

It would be better if you include troubleshooting. How to overcome problems that may arise.

by
by
by
by
by
by