3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Hi creative people from around the world!

Yesterday I was at this church helping with this computer problem (didn’t display video on the projector with some software) and I was talking with this guy who called himself “professional”. He was there helping with the sound system, ‘cuz he also called himself a “sound engineer”

As the conversation went on, he handled me his card and noticed that it says “Professional Video Editing at your service) ...

As I asked to see some of his work, he took me to this site (he also mention he was a pro web designer) and found his work was quite far from professional…Take a look here http://www.tmasvida.com

I didn’t want to be mean, so I just continue what I was doing saying “nice work” but kinda hypocritical…(sorry..)

I ‘ve meet web designers, video editors and freelancers here in my area reffering as themselves as pro but their work shows something else…

I’m myself far from what a pro should be. That’s what I am taking training in motion graphics ‘cuz want to do quality work like many authors here (like plamen, zanimotion, elements, flashato and so many others).

I don't know about you, but the envato sites had helped and inspired me to become the best in what I do..

So, question is, what do you think is needed to become a professional? Years of experience like felt_tips (he’s been into AE for the last 15 years)

or a Adobe Certification? or the school you attended to? or the clients you work with? or your projects or video/design work? the quality of your work?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated…

As usually, I pray that God will give you all more creativity to do more awesome projects and to succeed in any industry you are working with.Thanks for stopping by.

417 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Sharky says

Being a professional just means that their work is to a good standard and you know the general workflow for a production. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve worked for. I’ve seen 18 year old professionals who have used After Effects for less than a year pump out fantastic professional, broadcast-film quality work as opposed to someone who’s been making videos for 20 years to a substandard level.

Also quality of a website means nothing if people are looking for a video editor. There’s a portfolio somewhere of a dreamworks character animator for robots who has no idea how to make a website (looks really bad and I mean BAD :)), but his skill in character animating is top notch. Will a boss hire him for those skills despite the website? For sure.

It’s all practice makes perfect. There’s no magic key to getting good, it just depends on how much time and quality you will invest into learning.

5094 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I guess technically, you’re a professional if you make your living from it.

But professionalism describes a certain quality level too and how you go about your work. I think most people have some eye for quality and can judge for themselves.

As far as experience goes, I think people who have been doing something for a short time often do just as good a job as an old timer. What I’ve often noticed though when hiring people for jobs is that those with a lot of experience usually get the same job done in about a quarter of the time.

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says

Thanks for commenting Sharky and Felt_Tips. I’m fan of your work…do you both have a twitter account?

Thanks for sharing some knowledge. In the niche I work with, quality is not quite common. I in a boot camp now getting ready to deliver a better work to my clients. Creativity is also key to succeed.

by
by
by
by
by
by