• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
50andJACK says

Envato is one of the rare places on the web where you can purchase a digital item and be able to download it multiple times. In fact I can’t remember another place where I’ve ever been able to do this. And most files that are ever deleted are usually done so after a decent amount of time, so there’s usually lots of time available to download a purchase. But regardless, a download should always be done immediately anyway and Envato does a good job of suggesting this when a purchase is made.

-Jack

152 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
seal says

Of course you are wrong:-)
The huge difference between buying something from the store and lost it and getting a digital download is that the digital item is not tangible and can’t deplete:-) So your example is completely inappropriate.

Also it’s not about license either of course, it’s so obvious. It’s about files and storing those files. If I want to download a lost item it’s not because I need another license but because my HDD failed or any other good reason. Making copy/paste of a zipped theme on my HDD doesn’t make me copyright violator, does it :)

And no, I don’t buy mp3 online but I buy e-books on my iPad and, surprise surprise, if I delete them to free some space I can download them again the next day ;) I also bought a nice application on iOS – offline maps. You buy access to the map store in fact and you can download and use any map you want. Then delete it to free some space. Then download it again. And this is a great practice!

p.s. I’ve been in the business in creating digital goods and services for 14 years and I created a company for digital subscriptions for magazines from A to Z, so please don’t make the mistake to think your opinion is the right one apriori (I see that on almost every posting of yours) because it’s not ;)

731 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
50andJACK says

^ But can you re-download an iPad App if the author removes their app from the App Store? My guess is no. I don’t disagree that having things “in the cloud” is a great benefit for customers. But authors need to be able to decide whether their creative works are available to the public or not. A good example of this is if someone offers a large sum for the exclusive rights to one of your products. It wouldn’t be fair to that client to have the product still available for download on Envato.

152 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
seal says

But authors need to be able to decide whether their creative works are available to the public or not.
True, and it will be a good compromise that authors can delete items for new customers but the items can remain in the cloud sort of speak for customers already made a purchase

Envato is one of the rare places on the web where you can purchase a digital item and be able to download it multiple times. In fact I can’t remember another place where I’ve ever been able to do this.
Oooo, come on, what about amazon, what about barnes and noble

Let’s improve things. That’s how google was build:-)

731 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
50andJACK says

^ I don’t use Barnes and Nobles, but use Amazon and although I usually just stream everything, I just checked my latest video purchase and it says I can download it a total of 2 times.

by
by
by
by
by
by