• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
pxt says

I believe that with most VPS providers your resources are guaranteed too. I think the main difference is to do with scalability as cloud servers are designed to be easily scaled when needed. (For example when you get a burst of hits from Digg.)

Another major difference is that a VPS resides on a single dedicated server which is split up. The physical server is split up into virtual ‘chunks’ and therefore physical computing resources are fixed to each instance.

Whereas, a cloud instance commonly resides on a cluster or pool of servers and that’s why it’s called a ‘cloud’ server and also why it’s easily scalable. Also, when you get a cloud server, it is typically charged after the month ends as resources are ‘on-demand’. So you pay for what you use. Therefore it’s scalable as you’re only paying for what resources you use (even if they vary) in the hosts’ pool/cluster of servers.

Hope that all makes sense! :)

1530 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
dorde says

hostgator.com rocks

Which hosting plan you’re using? I’m using “baby plan”, generaly I’m satisfied, but my clients sometimes complains for slow download when I send them link for finished work. I can’t feel slow download, because my internet connection is slow.
Maybe speed depends of particular server? I don’t know.
I don’t like hg only because of innodes limit, and because they will not backup your account if you’re using more than 20gb.
For about 100 bucks per year, I’m satisfied :D

447 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
Sleightofhand says

I’ve been using 1and1.com for the past 5 or 6 years. Have quite a few web sites with them, including my official MikS Music site. I don’t have much experience with other providers but so far 1and1 didn’t give me a reason to switch. Cheers, M

Me too, never had a problem with 1and1. They arent the cheapest around but 5 years on and I dont have any issues :bigwink:

1399 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

FinalTouchHosting.com is what I use. Been great!

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

I believe that with most VPS providers your resources are guaranteed too. I think the main difference is to do with scalability as cloud servers are designed to be easily scaled when needed. (For example when you get a burst of hits from Digg.)

Another major difference is that a VPS resides on a single dedicated server which is split up. The physical server is split up into virtual ‘chunks’ and therefore physical computing resources are fixed to each instance.

Whereas, a cloud instance commonly resides on a cluster or pool of servers and that’s why it’s called a ‘cloud’ server and also why it’s easily scalable. Also, when you get a cloud server, it is typically charged after the month ends as resources are ‘on-demand’. So you pay for what you use. Therefore it’s scalable as you’re only paying for what resources you use (even if they vary) in the hosts’ pool/cluster of servers.

Many thanks for explanation! Great stuff.

22 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
DavidOrr says

I’ve been with 1and1.com for a good 5 years now, and haven’t had a single problem. I’ve contacted customer support a couple of times via both phone and email, and they’re always friendly and quick to respond. In my experience, their support staff carries the mentality “customer is king”, which is a huge plus in my book. There is nothing worse than bickering with customer support!

229 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Pressateers says

I have a level 3 VPS with HostGator – best hosting.

Don’t trust me though, I’m a scammer, as you can see by my profile.

346 posts Gambit
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

Nice! You pwned the site I Googled lol! :)

1018 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+5 more
Parallelus says

I use godaddy but I’m a bit disappointed… :/
Never ever, ever, ever, EVER use GoDaddy. They suck.

+1

Had a bad experience with them too.

I’ve never used GoDaddy for any of my own hosting, but every time a client has a site on GoDaddy I have so many problems. They run old versions of PHP , take forever to update their software, provide terrible support and their admin tools are really poorly organized and hard to use.

It’s such a pain just to import a SQL file to a GoDaddy site. They restrict access (or did last year) using some BS application instead of phpMyAdmin which does not allow importing of SQL data. It’s a complete joke.

I’ve had a reseller account on HostGator for almost 8 years and will be migrating to a VPS this summer. Having been with them a long time I can say they have really matured into one of the best hosts around. Their support is outstanding. That was a weak area for them many years ago but now provide some of the best support I’ve ever dealt with. The hosting is also very good.

I also have hosting with ReliableSite.net for my Windows hosting. I use this for Umbraco sites which I love working with. Their hosting is also good, however if HostGator offered shared Windows hosting at the time I would have chosen them instead.

by
by
by
by
by
by