2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
gmcalpin says

Hi.

I had a friend from work create a Drupal Theme for my website. I set up Drupal and the database. He found an existing theme to modify, created a logo, chose the colors, put the theme in place on our site, and did all of the CSS to make it look right. I think that he let us review two hand drawn logos and used our feedback to create the final logo.

Other people have created all of the content.

He’s just out of college and we never set a price. I just said that I would pay him fairly. Now I don’t know how much that should be and I think that he might feel uncomfortable asking for a reasonable amount of money.

The site is http://www.the-ensemble.com/ . He had to make the Drupal theme with a short short deadline (about three days).

I want to reuse the logo that he created for stationary and Facebook and maybe other places. Should I pay him for a copyright each time that I reuse his logo? How much should that be? Of if we buy an unlimited amount of copyrights, how would that affect the price?

I am extremely pleased with the quality of his work and I don’t want to take advantage of him because he is inexperienced.

Thanks for any help!

Greg McAlpin

415 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
osigrandi says

Wow, exciting, I never imagined I would ‘meet’ someone from The Ensemble here :). Congrats on your results btw!

It’s really rare that I meet someone not interested in taking advantage of that kind of situation.

You said he had a previous Drupal theme to work with and that he didn’t create it from scratch. And that he offered you several samples for the logo.

You should ask him to transfer you copyright on the logo. Plus, it’s very uncommon, even in the professional world, for a logo designed for a particular customer to be re-used by the designer for someone else.

Given also the complexity of the theme and logo (both seem simple and clean), I think about $500-600 max for all of this would be very reasonable. It can’t be considered cheap, but it’s not outrageous either, given the fact that a professional designer can charge $50+ per hour.

Hopefully this helps.

2 posts
gmcalpin says
Wow, exciting, I never imagined I would ‘meet’ someone from The Ensemble here :). Congrats on your results btw!
Thanks! The whole competition was a lot of fun.
I think about $500-600 max for all of this would be very reasonable. It can’t be considered cheap, but it’s not outrageous either, given the fact that a professional designer can charge $50+ per hour.
Great. My guess was that it would be $600-$800, so I’m glad that I’m in the right ballpark.
Hopefully this helps.
Very much! I appreciate your advice.

Greg

by
by
by
by
by
by