4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
MeEPM says

What is the best theme framework (or theme) considering I’m new to Wordpress and I would like to minimize coding while having the most flexible set of features and capabilities? • Wordpress 3.5 Support • Responsive Websites • Import/Export Themes • Child Themes • Multisite • Drag and Drop • HTML5 and CSS3 • Multi Language Support • SEO Optimized/Best Practices • Breadcrumbs • Clean Coding Standards • Expanded Shortcodes, Widgets, and Plugins • Social Media • Good Security • Hooks • eCommerce Storefronts

I’ve done some research but can’t decide between these top rated frameworks. 1. Thesis2.0 Theme by DIYThemes 2. Page Lines 3. Dynamik Website Builder for Genesis 4. Headway Themes 5. WooFrame by WooThemes 6. Theme Hybrid 7. Ultimatum 8. Genesis Framework by StudioPress 9. iThemes Builder 10. Catalyst (w/Dynamik Theme)

316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

If you’re looking to sell themes here then building your own framework will be your best option.

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
LucidStudios says

You should give OptionTree a try. Very flexible and lots of features.

P.S. It’s Envato’s official options plugin.

276 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
candeed says

You should give OptionTree a try. Very flexible and lots of features. P.S. It’s Envato’s official options plugin.

The author of the plugin is Derek Herman / ValenDesign.. Who is he? One of Envato staffs ? :)

82 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
GJThemes says

What grabbed my attention is that you are new to WordPress….First, I think it’s great you want to venture into the realm of WP, but I would first recommend you get comfortable with the core and basics of WordPress first. I’m not sure what your HTML, CSS, and PHP skill level is, but these are three elements that are important to know.

I would hold off on a framework for a bit, but once you are comfortable enough going that route, I would suggest trying each one out first because they are all quite different from one another and I know a few on the list you did, have high learning curves. It would be best to create your own, but if I had to choose one, I would suggest checking out Yootheme’s Warp. There’s also Bootstrap but this is primarily a front-end framework which I’ve used in both Joomla and WordPress themes.

Ultimately though, first get strong with WordPress and explore and use the TwentyTwelve theme as a basis of starting out. One thing to also consider is that the more code and scripts you put into something, the more chances things will go wrong as in throwing everything in including the kitchen sink (as the old saying goes). This means that should you start getting lots of support questions come in, you want to make sure you are able to answer and solve each issue or request that comes in :)

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

mine :D

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

I’m the creator of Hybrid Core (the framework from Theme Hybrid) and will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about what it does. Hybrid Core has been in constant development since 2008, so it’s had time to grow and mature. Several ThemeForest authors, many theme companies, and a lot of WordPress.org theme authors use it to build themes.

Other than my own themes, here’s a couple of theme companies that use it, so you can see that it doesn’t limit you in any way:

Your list of potential “frameworks” is wildly varied, some of which I would not consider frameworks at all. I can only really speak for Hybrid Core, so feel free to ask me any questions.

82 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
GJThemes says

I’m the creator of Hybrid Core (the framework from Theme Hybrid)...
Hey it’s Justin! :) Not sure about others but I found a steep learning curve for your Hybrid, but I will admit you’ve been around with the Hybrid for a long time and doing quite well with it. I would say you are a celebrity with your framework, not to mention your name has become a sort of brand name as well. I would guess if I ever tried yours again, I will need extra coffee this time around :)
4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
MeEPM says

Thanks for the comments and feedback, here are some additional details.

I’m not looking to sell themes but I plan to get several sites online this year starting with my personal blog. I’m a solution architect for a consulting company so I’m familiar with writing code, just not using the WordPress platform and tools (LAMP). I work in the Microsoft world (WISA/WIMP) so go easy on me (I can hear the rumblings already). I’m in the process of learning the platform and want to use my first blog to learn all the basics. I’m looking for a framework or a robust theme to use as a starting point that I can customize as needed.

Once I decided on WP as the CMS platform, I started researching theme frameworks. I’m hoping to use a robust standalone theme or a framework with a child theme for my initial blog. I will look at the references provided already and any others. I might start with an individual theme and move to a framework as second step.

All recommendations are welcome.

82 posts
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
GJThemes says

That’s the best way…start with WP as itself, explore it, play with it, and then once you feel comfortable enough, then venture outward to the popular frameworks. You could always try the Warp I mention, but you may also want to try out Justin’s Hybrid as he has been around for a long time and he definitely knows his WordPress code. Realize that learning WP and a framework won’t happen over night so take it slow, one step at a time, then as I said, venture into the more sophisticated levels of WP development for themes. You could start with a theme but please note that many authors here at Themeforest do awesome designs but they also do their own coding methods, some good some bad. Because of this, I still say start with the core of WP and go through the wordpress site and it’s docs (codex) and play with the TwentyTwelve theme first. The closer you keep to the authentic WP code, the better.

by
by
by
by
by
by