832 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
SBJEWEL says

Guys i have some very important questions… ? Please help… :)

• What is difference between Normal Texture and CG Texture ?
  • What is the difference between Normal Image and HDRI Image ?
  • How can i create CG Texture and HDRI Image ?
  • Which software i should use to create CG Texture and HDRI Image ?
  • What resolution i should use to create CG Texture and HDRI Image ? 72dpi or 300dpi ?
  • And more…
  • I search them in Google. And got some info. But those are not enough. I am confused. :confused: So i believe i will find some valuable answer from here. So guys wanna share your knowledge with us ? Then please…. Thank you. :)

I believe your knowledge will help me and others who don’t know about CG Texture and HDRI Image. Thanks. :)

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Normal texture is a photo of something, cg texture is ‘computer generated’

2004 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
  • An HDRI image is the same shot taken at different exposure levels and then combining those images to make one image with some really nice colours – takes the best of each one and makes it the best image it can be.
  • You’d need to be a bit of a 3d guru for CG textures, and for the HDRI I pretty much explained it above
  • Your favourite 3D software – you won’t be able to make one up in 5 seconds. You don’t have to use 3D software, but for something with a lot of depth I’d recommend it. You could do it in Photoshop. For an HDRI image, your favourite photo editing solution should offer cover HDR .
  • What resolution i should use to create CG Texture and HDRI Image ? 72dpi or 300dpi?
  • This is dots per inch, and as I don’t think anyone would be printing these out, it doesn’t matter.
50 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
Viz says

You would have gotten better answers on 3docean, but I’ll do my best here;

1. I think you’re referring to normal maps and diffuse maps? (There are also bump maps, displacement maps, etc.) The names indicate the role they play in enhancing a CG material (also referred to as a shader).

Diffuse maps, the basis of most CG materials, are used to add color to a material.

Normal maps are used to transfer normal data from a high-polygon model to a simplified low-polygon model, without using additional polygons (Basically, it affects the shading of a polygonal surface). Such maps are helpful because they greatly reduce the amount of system resources required to display and render a model, while maintaining an almost identical appearance.

Bump maps are essentially simplified normal maps (You can Google the difference between the two)

Example 1. The model on the left is simply geometry with no materials or textures applied. On the right is a model with that same geometry and number of polygons, but with a normal map applied.

Example 2. The black lines are the outlines of the polygons, and you can clearly see that the normal map is adding a great deal more detail, without the need for more geometry.

Example 3. The first model is only geometry. The second is the same geometry but with smoothed normals (Does not effect the number of polygons, only their shading). The third Is the same geometry, but with a normal map and smoothing applied. The fourth is the same as the third, but with a diffuse (color) map (It also looks like it may have bump/gloss/spec mapping, but I don’t want to complicate things too much right now).

2. A ‘normal’ (As in a regular image, such as one you’d find on the internet, don’t get confused with normal maps/textures) is typically saved in 8 bit (per color channel) format. HDRIs (High Dynamic Range Image) are saved in 32 bit (per color channel) format, meaning that the images capable of storing a much wider array of brightness and color data. HDR photographs are typically made by taking a photo at several different exposures, then combining those photos into a single 32bit image file in Photoshop afterwards. Most 3d software is also capable of creating 32 bit renders of 3d scenes.

This video may do a better job of explaining this ( although he is using a 16 bit image, not a 32 bit).

HDRI maps (such as the ones you find on 3docean) are typically used as ‘backgrounds’ in 3d scenes, as they are great for storing accurate and realistic lighting data as opposed to, for example, an 8-bit/channel JPEG image.

3. Photoshop? Remember that most all color/bump/normal/etc maps are just 8 bit images.

4. Photoshop again. Though for normal or displacement mapping it is sort of useless. You’ll need to ‘bake’ those maps in a 3d software.

5. It’s irrelevant. CG textures are not going to be printed, so the only thing that matters is the actual resolution (in pixels).

832 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SBJEWEL says
LandonWilson said
  • An HDRI image is the same shot taken at different exposure levels and then combining those images to make one image with some really nice colours – takes the best of each one and makes it the best image it can be.
  • You’d need to be a bit of a 3d guru for CG textures, and for the HDRI I pretty much explained it above
  • Your favourite 3D software – you won’t be able to make one up in 5 seconds. You don’t have to use 3D software, but for something with a lot of depth I’d recommend it. You could do it in Photoshop. For an HDRI image, your favourite photo editing solution should offer cover HDR .
  • What resolution i should use to create CG Texture and HDRI Image ? 72dpi or 300dpi?
  • This is dots per inch, and as I don’t think anyone would be printing these out, it doesn’t matter.

Those basic information are so helpful…. Thank you so much. I need more basic information…. ! If you have any tutorial link then provide that link here please…. Thanks. :)

And @quickandeasy thank you too…. :)

832 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SBJEWEL says
Viz said
You would have gotten better answers on 3docean, but I’ll do my best here; ..............................................................

What a great Information. Kinda advanced information. Did not find those information in Google search. Thank you so much… :) I will create some CG texture and HDRI image soon. But one question .. ? How can i ‘bake’ those maps in a 3d software… ? Any tutorial link you have… then show me some tutorial link. Thanks. :)

Just note this : I know only Autocad 2d/3d software and little bit about 3dstudio max…. :( Are those ok for 3d software… ? Thanks.

by
by
by
by
by
by