17 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
KMxRetro says
Can you even contemplate how many years it takes to master these skills?

Yes, I can. Please see my above post. There’s a difference between working harder and working smarter. If you’re churning out 10+ themes a year, a decent framework (even one you built yourself) would potentially save you days.

And, if you feel so hard done by when you sell 100 themes, why the hell are you selling them here for so little? If your themes are that good, start your own site and get marketing!

Making things look pretty and making things useful and usable are two different things. A hint: The second one makes the most money. By a long way.

438 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
webinpixels says
Can you even contemplate how many years it takes to master these skills?

Yes, I can. Please see my above post. There’s a difference between working harder and working smarter. If you’re churning out 10+ themes a year, a decent framework (even one you built yourself) would potentially save you days.

And, if you feel so hard done by when you sell 100 themes, why the hell are you selling them here for so little? If your themes are that good, start your own site and get marketing!

Making things look pretty and making things useful and usable are two different things. A hint: The second one makes the most money. By a long way.

I’ve read all your posts here
Sounds like you’re great in web design and coding..? nice :) , so why not you try to create a submission here.. i will be your first buyer (if your theme get accepted) :P

48 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
xentris says

I’m in awe against your reply kmxretro, “even a decent framework I build myself” .

You say you’re good at SEO , right? Ok, suppose there is a SEO marketplace where you’re able to sell a 4 step simple seo package.. What would you say if a “buyer” would come along and say that the package should also include backlink building, php generated sitemaps, custom search clouds etc, especially when you have no control over the price tag of your product? A guy at indonesia might be willing to do all these and more but would you think that all these “additional” features should be included to the basic package?

48 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
xentris says
I’ve read all your posts here
Sounds like you’re great in web design and coding..? nice :) , so why not you try to create a submission here.. i will be your first buyer (if your theme get accepted) :P

Don’t you know, it’s all about working smart ? :D btw, nice themes. joorang may have an additional buyer soon enough :)

438 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
webinpixels says
Don’t you know, it’s all about working smart ? :D btw, nice themes. joorang may have an additional buyer soon enough :)

off topic : thanks mate, :)

22 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
ThemeFuse says
Themefuse:

This thread on TF may be helpful to you:

Buyers, what do you need

I’m asking authors what kind of info they need to know from buyers (as I may have a group of them ask some of your questions) in this thread:

Interview with Buyers

Thanks for the links, Daniel ! ;)

156 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
SachaG says

I’m a little late, and most of these points have probably already been adressed here, but it any case, I wrote an article a while ago about what to look for in a theme:

http://sixrevisions.com/wordpress/a-guide-to-premium-wordpress-themes/

Of course, I’m a theme designer first, not a theme buyer… so I hope I didn’t get it all wrong!

814 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says
... 1,023 – Does it have a professional looking Control Panel that I’ll only ever see once, that the designer has spent 4 days working on, in comparison to the 1 day he spent on the design of the actual template? ...

Excuse me, where did you pulled these numbers from? 4 days for control panel and 1 day for designing actual template?

Are you from Disneyland?

17 posts
KMxRetro says
I’m in awe against your reply kmxretro, “even a decent framework I build myself” . You say you’re good at SEO , right? Ok, suppose there is a SEO marketplace where you’re able to sell a 4 step simple seo package.. What would you say if a “buyer” would come along and say that the package should also include backlink building, php generated sitemaps, custom search clouds etc, especially when you have no control over the price tag of your product? A guy at indonesia might be willing to do all these and more but would you think that all these “additional” features should be included to the basic package?

Aha, but I wouldn’t be putting my work out there for everybody to buy for a ridiculously little amount of money. And you DO have control over the price tag of your product. Sorry, but that’s a fact. You either sell it here for $30-$40, or you sell it on your own site and do a little marketing. That way, you could choose your price. A lot of the money you don’t make, is in exchange for marketing and promotion – as your new site selling your themes would never be as popular as ThemeForest. I’d rather sell ten themes for $32 here, than two themes for $100 on my own site. Again, a point I made first time around that nobody seemed to understand before they got out their “Oh my god, he’s criticizing one of us!” rubber-stamp.

Also, I was asking for links that I could freaking SEE , and navigation that was visible. It isn’t like I’m saying “Yes, and for $32, you should come around and sit at my desk and write my first three hundred posts as well, thank you.”

Most of the points I made wouldn’t have taken ANY longer. In fact, dropping social network links visibly into a page instead of hiding them behind a lovely animated button would have taken LESS time, probably. But no, you and your buddies have decided to pick up on the fact that I suggested that you do something other than exactly what you want to do – even though it was for your own benefit, and that of your potential customers – and you’ve run with it. Changing the colour of a link so that it is readable, takes the same amount of time as it does to change it to the unreadable colour – you dig? Yet somehow, you’re off rambling about sweatshops in Indonesia. Seriously, if its THAT borderline as to whether you make enough money to eat, maybe you’re in the wrong game.

And that is what I mean by working smarter (whether you like the phrase or not, it actually does make sense.) Getting the basics right before you start messing about with jQuery to perform functions that no user ever wanted in the first place. Sorry if you can’t comprehend that. If you have no pride in your work, then rock on. I can’t live like that, is all. I have to know that what I’ve made is actually technically solid, as well as being pleasing on the eye. I’m not interested in shipping 1,500 copies of something that sullies my good name with everybody other than people that I talk to every day on the ThemeForest forums. I’d rather folks carried on coming in to my company and asking for me by name to specifically be the Design Lead on their project. But, each to their own.

I’m not even going to bother defending myself and saying that I think its a nice and innovative theme and that I wasn’t getting at that specific designer personally again. Nobody seems to be actually trying to understand what I say, so I’ll butt out. I’m done here. :) Have fun picking over the carcass of this topic, won’t you? :)

17 posts
KMxRetro says
... 1,023 – Does it have a professional looking Control Panel that I’ll only ever see once, that the designer has spent 4 days working on, in comparison to the 1 day he spent on the design of the actual template? ...

Excuse me, where did you pulled these numbers from? 4 days for control panel and 1 day for designing actual template?

Are you from Disneyland?

No. Its called sarcasm, but it appears to have totally missed you. I apologize for insinuating that people are actually able to work that quickly, if it made you feel bad.

by
by
by
by
by
by