1044 posts Massfocus
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
Massfocus says

When i started out i feel like i worked faster but less efficient. The reason is that i would open up a new project, make all the animations roughly and quickly without perfecting anything. And when i was at the end of my time line i would preview it allot of times to work the kinks out and perfect it further, this caused me to spend allot of time afterwards whenever i thought i was done with the project.

These days i try to work more efficient in a way that when i make a animation and graphic i want to do it as perfectly as possible before moving on the the next scene, and when i hit the end of the time line i don’t have to spend much time afterwards and i am actually almost done with it.

Just curious how the process of some veterans here is, maybe i can learn from it. I like my current process but i feel like sometimes i feel like i didn’t do anything because i work so hard on making it look perfect from the get-go. Sometimes this even discourages me from continuing on the project because i get so sick of it quickly, because i work on it so hard but progressing so slowly.

Sure would appreciate any thoughts!

177 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+4 more
DanaosC says

I am not a Veteran for sure but
I usually imagine my project based on the music.
I build the project without renaming and putting folders or precomping the layers,just a mess.After then I render out my VH Preview.
If everything is ok,I go back and rename,precomping and tiding everything and making a Pre-rendered Version if needed.
I usually work fast,I am looking forward to the result,so I am kinda forgetting about the quality.
But as you said,I always come back and fix it little by little. That’s basically it…But I am sure I should be more carefull.

5219 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

It all depends on what I’m trying to achieve.

Stage 1

For freelance jobs I usually start with style frames and storyboards as this needs to be presented to the client. I ought to do the same for VH actually because this is a time when you make a lot of creative headway, without being bound by functionality and all the rest of it, but for VH I actually usually start with a piece of music and a short written plan which I then work straight into After Effects. Largely because it’s hard to justify two days of style-frame design time on a Videohive project. As things stand at the moment, they have to be quick to produce to make their time back.

Sometimes I work very loosely and quite creatively, just creating a feel of what I’m trying to achieve. Other times, I will build a system using expressions, which I can then animate and play with. But either which way, Stage 1 involves quite a bit of play time.

I try to work in time where I can just play and not worry about how neat everything is. A lot of ideas headway is made during this time. This is the time when you find out whether the foggy notion that you have in your head actually works and through this process of trying to realise what you had in your head, you often stumble upon great new ideas and forge a strong creative direction.

Sometimes this stage can be a short animation sample that will be expanded on later, sometimes it will be a sketch of the whole project.

Stage 2

This stage is expanding that core idea up to a whole project and refining it. If it’s a live freelance job, I’ll often spend quite a bit of time tidying up and restructuring, because I know that when the going gets tough later on, deadlines get tight and clients start changing stuff that it will help.

Also for Videohive, probably more restructuring goes on, because I start thinking about how it might look to the fresh eyes of a user, who perhaps doesn’t have much experience. I have to decide where to make it customizable, where to strike that balance between simplicity and customizability. I change my mind quite a lot during this process. I often do test renders and optimize the project for speed.

I’m not a keen Stage 2 man. For freelance jobs I find that it starts to feel like endless rounds of changes and that the actual invention in the job was only 10% of the work.

For Videohive stuff, many projects fail at stage 2. I feel like I’m getting intensely bogged down, that I’ve made something too complex to strike that balance between simplicity and customizability. I have tens of projects on my hard drive that stopped some way into Stage 2.

-f.

2373 posts Small, but tough
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Lately I have problems because I make too heavy project’s for my computer (core2quad, 8gb ram), and it’s too slow for my needs. I try to optimize but…. I have one great project and I just cannot finish it because I use ram previews all the time, but for 1 minute scene, it takes about 12-15 minutes to render the preview. So anyone know how to overclock the computer :D

p.s. I’m thinking to buy i7 with 32gb of ram

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says
EFEKT_Studio said
Lately I have problems because I make too heavy project’s for my computer (core2quad, 8gb ram), and it’s too slow for my needs. I try to optimize but…. I have one great project and I just cannot finish it because I use ram previews all the time, but for 1 minute scene, it takes about 12-15 minutes to render the preview. So anyone know how to overclock the computer :D

I started doing animation in After Effects around 1996, when computers were not very impressively fast. But it was doable.

You need to find a system whereby you can RAM preview to get a sense of the movement (the design you can test from a still).

Preview with draft 3D on, motion blur off (or at least turned down to 4 iterations) preview at quarter res and set the quality of all the layers to draft.

You can also do a render out at proxy settings. (the settings are similar to above) this is the default setting when you choose Create proxy. Even the most complex scene should render in a few seconds. If not, you can always go down to wireframe previews, although if you’re not used to it, that can be tricky to judge what’s going on.

Another option is to solo the layers that you are concentrating on or to use a region of interest, so you don’t preview the whole picture.

If none of these options work, then you have created a monster and you must kill it.

-f.

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says
felt_tips said
EFEKT_Studio said

I started doing animation in After Effects around 1996, when computers were not very impressively fast. But it was doable.

You need to find a system whereby you can RAM preview to get a sense of the movement (the design you can test from a still).

Preview with draft 3D on, motion blur off (or at least turned down to 4 iterations) preview at quarter res and set the quality of all the layers to draft.

You can also do a render out at proxy settings. (the settings are similar to above) this is the default setting when you choose Create proxy. Even the most complex scene should render in a few seconds. If not, you can always go down to wireframe previews, although if you’re not used to it, that can be tricky to judge what’s going on.

Another option is to solo the layers that you are concentrating on or to use a region of interest, so you don’t preview the whole picture.

If none of these options work, then you have created a monster and you must kill it.

-f.

hahaha… it’s like this; draft 3d doesn’t make any change since there’s not light involved, motion blur is off with most of my project’s (maybe in typo project’s it’s always on), the iterations are turned down to 8 :D, etc. etc.

And the proxy could be the solution. Actually, that’s the only solution for finishing this project (it’s the project I sent you when you helped me with expressions). And by the way that expressions you made is so great, that you have to make a tutorial out of it. I’m sure someone else had similar issues, if you remember it was about precomps reading the audio amplitude from main composion. Great expression.

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Render one out at proxy settings and see how long it takes.

It’s also possible that some expressions cause issues, especially where there are loops involved. You can always try converting expressions to keyframes while you work on it to eliminate that as a factor.

Check that you’re not using any really big media….or indeed any that’s bigger than it needs to be. If quarter’s not fast enough, work at 1/8th resolution. That should speed things up fourfold.

Make sure you’re working in 8 bit. (I’m sure you are).

Draft 3D also turns off DoF, which can make a big difference.

Keep an eye on the info palette to see if any specific effect or layer is taking a long time to render.

If you’re using radial blurs / lens blurs etc. disable them or turn them down to low anti-aliasing.

-f.

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says
felt_tips said
Render one out at proxy settings and see how long it takes.

It’s also possible that some expressions cause issues, especially where there are loops involved. You can always try converting expressions to keyframes while you work on it to eliminate that as a factor.

Check that you’re not using any really big media….or indeed any that’s bigger than it needs to be. If quarter’s not fast enough, work at 1/8th resolution. That should speed things up fourfold.

Make sure you’re working in 8 bit. (I’m sure you are).

Draft 3D also turns off DoF, which can make a big difference.

Keep an eye on the info palette to see if any specific effect or layer is taking a long time to render.

If you’re using radial blurs / lens blurs etc. disable them or turn them down to low anti-aliasing.

-f.

No dof, but there is some blur, fast blur that is. And I guess that the main problem with this project is a lot of flash light’s that react to audio. Maybe expressions also have some impact to it. I started making proxy last night, so I will try that way. Thanks.

p.s. Sorry massfocus for offtopic, but I think this is relevant for some part of work proccess.

by
by
by
by
by
by