6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
germinc says

So anyway, since my previous thread is blocked (http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/refunds-because-author-is-nonresponsive-theme-is-broken-but-envato-has-been-quiet-/136038?page=1) I have a new story to share.

So this is what happened.

I bought his theme. After sending in requests for support, he Ignored my requests for 5 days.

Since I had no choice, during this time, I bought a new theme, installed it and customized it for my own use. Everything was going smooth.

Suddenly, without checking or asking for permission, he reinstalled his theme, and did some customizations.

Now when I reenable my current theme, everything goes out of whack. When I contact him via Skype, Author refuses to fix the mess he created or to compensate anything for the new hours I must put in to recustomize the store, and I don’t even know if I can even get it back to how it started. Author also refuses to apologize for the mess he created.

Seriously, this is the worst experience ever.

How will people trust Themeforest with such irresponsible authors around?

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

Did you inform the guy that his support was no longer required?

3859 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Sorry – how did he get access to your back end to make changes and customizations?

I can only assume you asked him at some point to make these changes and gave them logins?

Authors cannot just remotely log into your system without the details. I fear you will not get far on here with this and as with your other thread will need to email support@envato.com

6 posts
germinc says

Anyway, thankfully this was a non-production website. I rolled back from my Cpanel the files and the db, all is back to normal now.

6 posts
germinc says

Prothemeus > I didn’t, partly because the past few days of comments have been? “Any updates?” to no reply, so I assumed he went missing.

charlie4282 > When I submitted the ticket, I gave him those details to make the necessary changes.

Am liaising with envato currently, hope all works out. Been a shitty few days.

6025 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

@germinc,

Sometimes it is better double check if something is own mistake. Could be a misunderstanding on both ends as you didn’t update the author that those changes are not needed.

This is afterall a product marketplace, where no one including author can be responsible for mistakes on item support / service.

1353 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

I was thinking about indemnity insurance the other day specifically because of things like this, has anyone ever considered it?

154 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
goofydadog says

You can get web designer insurance, but it was quite dear when I looked into it. A site we were working on once got hacked real bad just as the client launched a TV add campaign. (my ftp client was hacked into) but the company were quite nice about it. – I simply don’t take on massive clients anymore!

6025 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

haha, people speak about insurance. But when it comes to small chunk of numerous works and minor stress due to unexpected workloads, insurance can’t compensate it :D Pain is a pain. The only solution for these kind of issues are simply taking responsibility. Giving away login details to a random person is never a good practice. Atleast the permission should be removed once we know commitment of developer completed.

1353 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

haha, people speak about insurance.

I mean indemnity insurance for us authors. It occurred to me that a developer using a theme, if they considered it bugged, may be able to try and sue for lost time. Indemnity insurance covers you in such situations, I was just wondering if any authors had though about it / bought it?

by
by
by
by
by
by