61 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
derektoigo says

If I submit an HTML site template that uses jQuery, for example, do I need to explain how to edit the back-end code (I.E. functions) in my help file, or can I simply explain how to link it to the main HTML code and point users to another freely-licensed resource that explains it if I’m not experienced with it and can’t support it?

13 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
iintense says

Not everyone who purchases scripts here has programming knowledge. It’s good to be as detailed and thorough as possible.

I like to take screenshots of every step from beginning to end. You can never be too detailed or include too much info.

962 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

Deatils my friend, details.

2293 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I personally list all JS files in my help documentation and then supply a link to the items authors page (obviously if this is an open source script) where the user can see detailed instructions and see comments / join in however I then supply support if someone for example wants to change the rotation from manual to automatic on a scroller – I usually include the breakdown of the functions just like they would get from the jquery author – I find it best that users can see where a script came from and normally the author does a better job than I ever could – plus I feel it’s important to pass an end user through to that scripts author as a link back – I would want the same to be honest.

Rule of thumb is that if someone else built it and knows it better than you then their community can offer better support and experience for your buyer than you ever could.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

The main parts of your help documentation that should be covered as well as possible is the HTML and CSS . Explaining the structure of these sections is important so buyers can quickly and easily get caught up on how you’ve built the template.

Other sections like javascript should also be covered but since it’s a little harder to explain how to edit, etc. without teaching someone javascript/jquery just try to do your best. Commenting your code will be very helpful here.

A detailed help file is very helpful for buyers so the more details the better. Also be sure to comment your markup as best as possible as that will really help unexperienced buyers use your template.

Hope this helps! :-)

61 posts
+1 more
derektoigo says

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help; I really appreciate it. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by