228 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
stevebluck says

Say you’re starting a design from scratch – you got a colour scheme and that’s about it – you don’t have a logo or anything yet.

I always find myself starting of with the navigation, I’m not sure why I just do, and then I go onto creating the main content area, sidebars, footer and then last comes the rest of the header!

Wierd that the header always comes last with me…

I’m curious to what all you other designers start with. Perhaps theres a certain rule with the order you design elements =)

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says

I always start with the research.. Research competitors’ sites, look for trends, look for things you miss, what can be done better, etc..

Then I sketch, and after that a wireframe, and then I start with the actual design, where like you, I most often start with the header part (navigation, logo, etc)

1478 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

Usually, I look around first. But the first design step is something that’s unique in my mind and I need to express it quick before I forget it. Usually if it looks just as good as it did in my mind, it keeps me motivated to design the rest of the site.

478 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
kevinsturf says

well after my color selection, i usually start with the header. I come up with some random name to support the site or just random and i work from there. The logo, I usually leave last since i want it to have an impression on viewers. Then after the header, i do my navigation and so forth. I always work from top down.

164 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
hagdesigns says

Like kevinsturf, I work from the top on down. When I reach the bottom I realize that I don’t like it and I start all over…. then repeat.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

layout grid first – to position all element blocks I need in the design to make sure I have everything spaced out correctly that I will need such as:

header navtop search product images x however many call to action areas text etc etc

This helps a great deal as you are then wrapping the function in design rather than trying to fit what is needed in a design that may not work.

1575 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I also work from top to bottom

146 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
0703 says

depends on the project and my client. for a client i make some drafts and draw them on a paper and if its really needed i make a ps draft and send as jpg.

after this we talk about navigation and style option, boxes and colours and then i begin. as the most from top to bottom. lucky me or not, my clients already has some kind of logo to start with and that helps me alot of focusing on the layout, grid, navigation – all the needed options and pages.

but when you say “design from scratch” i hope you mean webdesign related or maybe a flyer or some kind of brochures. very important to me is, when i start a webdesign i use a browserlayout.psd. and so for flyers. short rant to flyers, there i always start with the background and the grid. then my inspiration comes most of the time itself.

for me a sketch is the first thing, always

by
by
by
by
by
by