567 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
iamdok says

Most average laptops these days (apart from netbooks-eg Eeepc) are using a 1200×800 screen resolution. I aim to design all of my templates for this size, but when you take into account the browser adress bar, bookmark bar, tabs area & maybe the developer toolbar(or other), and the operating system’s task bar (excl mac), you talking about ending up with a 1200×600 resolution, which becomes 1024×600 for content and at this, is very restrictive.

Designing all of your content to scale up/down depending on resolution on pages, other than just an image viewer, can get very complex and take a lot of time.

I’m curious, what resolutions do you other AD authors design your Flash Templates to? Or what other things do you take into account?

Donagh

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

I use most of the time 1024×600 or even 900×600 this is only because when you apply your web site, i think globally and this is the average of most screen resolution. The key is to align your object in a very good way so it will look good on any resolution (on resize much work this way); still it’s a meter of preference i like to fit everything in 1 window when working with flash so there wont be any need to scroll down on your browser, but again its my preference and what website i am building

843 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
marcfolio says

I think in some cases 600 px is still too tall. I’ve found 900×550 to be pretty good. That being said there are ways you can force a scrollbar at minimum height. I’ve seen sites that do this and set the min at 768 (which is a pc laptop res). In that case I think the user just has to go full screen unless they want to scroll. It’s tough to design for the lowest when people are starting to get screens that are well beyond 1080p. I guess that’s what makes a great site—one that looks good on a netbook and also on a 27inch iMac.

2163 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
Nitro_Themes says

Hey Donagh

I think the standard size is now 1024×768. You can always use swfforcesize.js I used your templates @ 1920×1280 and they still look awesome.

Cheers

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

base design of 900×600 and then expand to fit the screen…

useful link: web safe areas

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
531 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
LeatherwingStudios says
Most average laptops these days (apart from netbooks-eg Eeepc) are using a 1200×800 screen resolution. I aim to design all of my templates for this size

depends on who you are designing for. if yourself or a group that you know has bigger monitors you’ll be fine. but if you are targeting mainstream (or building for ActiveDen) it is a mistake to target anything greater than a 1024 monitor at the current time.

even at W3Schools (higher-end, more sophisticated users) they show 36% still using 1024 in their most recent display resolution stats. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says
base design of 900×600 and then expand to fit the screen… useful link: web safe areas

Its total inappropriate we share the same thought, find your self your own resolution bro` (:

2163 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Canada
Nitro_Themes says

I have used 1024×768 on my first acer that was in like 1996 I mean technology is crazy and it’s good that those people with the low-end systems have to upgrade. I mean it’s way nicer to look at a 20+ inch screen than an old 14 inch crt monitor. Also the prices have dropped a lot. I bought my Samsung 24 syncmaster 245 BW for like 275 bucks 2 years ago. I upgraded my pcs under $400 Canadian. At the end it’s who ever you want to cater to, most of all my friends and people that i know use 20+ inch monitors most of them wide screens or even 2 of them. The EU, Asia and smaller countries could be a bit different but even some of my friends in Hungary have big monitors and fast systems so it’s hard to tell.

Cheers

3072 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

1024×600 is the resolution that most netbooks have.
that leaves around 900×500 visible area on screen.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says
1024×600 is the resolution that most netbooks have.
that leaves around 900×500 visible area on screen.

+1 on the 500 pixel height because you also have to account for all the the dumb toolbars most people have. Sometimes I go 550 when I really need the space and just hope the client doesn’t have 3 toolbars.

For width, I’ve never gone less than 990px. I think most people are used to maximizing their window when they can’t see something and a window maximized on a 1024 will fit a 990 easily.

by
by
by
by
by
by