1057 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Hi,

I don’t know what you think about, but when the new option to add cover arts to AJ items was available I was thrilled, so I started to replace all my boring avatars form my songs and upload new shiny cover arts…

But, I’m not sure that action gave me any good results, in fact, since the change, my monthly sales and earnings have falling, so I don’t know what to do. Maybe it’s just coincidence or maybe it just a bad idea to change that and I should reset my default avatar to all songs.

What was your experience about cover arts ? Did you think it’s a useless feature ?

By the way, all cover arts includes “sonicbyte” to help customers know from who is that song, also during that change I’ve launch my own website to promote more my work here, so I’m a little lost with the low sales I have now.

Thanks !

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

I actually have a rather strong opinion on this. I had a professional re-design the whole look for my AudioJungle account. So I changed everything and that very week my sales suddenly dropped. I think branding is so important and if you’ve established any name here it is linked and associated with you, your brand and your image. Our image at TortoiseTree is a Tortoise with a tree on it’s back (it’s a giant tortoise!) and it’s deep burgundy colour, these things were all chosen for a reason and when my new files were no longer carrying our image, I think we “disappeared” from the market.

Best advice is get it right the first time and if you are going to use the cover art only do slight changes like PinkZebra does so your clients don’t get confused.

On that note, there was a short while I was back in England so I raised the British flag for our Audiojungle account (just in case a freelance job appeared in England whilst I was there) and during that time we got no sales.

Branding and identity is everything and if you can’t get it right the first time get it right as soon as possible is my motto now!

615 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
Basspartout says

Hey Sonicbyte,
I think your coverart designs are definitely some of the best I’ve seen around here and it was YOUR designs, that actually made me wanna make use of that option and I finally did. Of course, we have seen some of the top sellers, TimMcMorris for example, make use of it and then go back to the standard avatar. I think for authors with smaller portfolios and similar genres, it’s maybe not that important. The bigger the portfolio and the more diverse, it may help customers find what they looking for faster. PinkZebra with his colour coding is a good example. For me, it’s a mix at the moment. I like to give the ‘bigger’ productions a special treatment with some pics and graphics, whereas the loops and shorter tracks get the standard avatar.
As long as your avatar has your name in it and the design is somehow consistent, I’d say it is a nice feature and you’re definitely doing a great job, so I wouldnt suspect your avatar has anything to do with the ups and downs in sales.
Cheers

1057 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Wow, thanks @Basspartout !, You’re probably right, maybe I just enlarge a little my logo over the cover arts, so I feel more secure about people recognize my brand on new items.

Also thanks @TortoiseTree for your comments !

Thanks !

by
by
by
by
by
by