• Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
miseld says

If I were you. I should hire someone ( ONLY very good in AE and very creative ) for low cost and make some great AE projects for VH. It will supports me to get more sales in VH.

If it success I will hire another one and create more projects.

That is what I do.

If you do this, one day you will be a businessman ( according to your talent ) who only handles all the staff.

I know what are you talking about, i was having the same offers (still have one) for big names (brands) (i don’t want to mention them) to produce templates for their websites. All I want is to find balance between work and income. I already have a few offers, there is a lot of people who wants to work. If I accept freelance work today i don’t have time for my templates, website etc… When i finish the job another client is on the “door”, again i don’t have time but i know that i need to submit something new, then i ask myself when, how, and what?

Anyway thank you all for your suggestions i will keep reading your posts.

@StudioLeBus Agree, but for me it’s much more important to not lose a client.

Here is real situation for yesterday (short version):

Simple job:
“We are an online women’s accessory company looking to develop a series of 30 second to 1 minute videos. We are looking for an individual with video editing and after effects skills.”

Me: $140

Client: Hello, Does this price include the two videos and a template we can use to create future videos?

Me: No it’s only customization

Client say: Thank you for your time. Unfortunately this is out of our budget range right now.

After 24h Client: Are you still available? Are you willing to do the logo reveal and instead of 1 video of 1:30-2:00 to do 2—- 1 minute videos? for $160? Please let us know asap.

Me: Ok deal but before i accept the job send me footage your logo and brief description with text i need to review it before i accept (i need 30 minutes for review)

Guess what? I accept offer and client send me 50% in advance.

This is reality i must accept it or my small brand dies…

1528 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

When you say “i start working with clients, a lot of them want to make big jobs for small fees and i’m trying to keep them all because i don’t want to lose my reputation and my position on marketplace” i think here there’s a problem, you can’t work for small fee when it’s a command or something special for a client ! if you began like that than you have to explain that it was just for the beginning to show how you work well, and now you ask a raisonnable money…

@StudioLeBus Agree, but for me it’s much more important to not lose a client.

Then you will remain the cheap ‘go-to-guy’ to these clients, which is not a good thing in my opinion.

1406 posts Determined to give you nothing but the best!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
mrcharlesbrown says

Miseld – buddy there is a simple solution to that, you need to balance your marketplace input + freelance work. If you stop uploading new items on the marketplace, you will feel the effect from the second month upwards. And if you continue to accept freelance work continuously, it will affect your marketplace earning. Since Envato is your main source of income for you and your family, you need to make it your top priority.

Balancing “marketplace input + freelance work” is a great idea. That means – minimize the number of freelance work you accept at a time. Telling your client, ‘I would like to work on this project now but my hands are tied up with other projects at the moment’ – wont scare them off. They will understand. You can stop accepting freelance work for a week or so and create marketplace item and submit and then continue your freelance work.

Just my 2 cents!

1937 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
matsteiner says

Hi Misel
I wish you a lot of wisdom in this sensitive problem. I have a similar problem: I’m freelancer since 1994, I have a family too and should at least earn enough for living, since I have no regular job beside this.
In my business I have a lot of things I do where I don’t earn money (or at least almost nothing), but just do it to not lose my reputation in the market and also because it’s bringing SOMETHING, however money I need. Other services I’m providing are working better, but I don’t have enough customers there yet to rely on this only. So I’m hoping to get more successful on audiojungle to really be able to quit doing things that don’t bring enough money. At the moment I have the same problem, that I work too much for small money.
But I really think, the most important thing before hiring somebody is, to really stop doing the “bad” jobs for too little money. Otherwise you lose a lot of money very quickly by paying salaries.
I had people hired a few years ago, but at the end that almost ruined me. Yes, the work was done, but we did way too much work that didn’t bring any money! This is really dangerous!
Since I fired all my people it’s going much better already, but still not all problems solved. But at least I don’t lose money anymore!
My conclusion: As long you have too much work, really try to concentrate on the things that bring you money, be nice with your customers, but be bold enough to not try to make everyone happy when there is no money to earn.
(the last thing I shouldn’t have written, otherwise you never put my music in your preview like promised :D but maybe that’s one of the things you shouldn’t do? :( )
I wish you (and me :) ) a lot of wisdom in this difficult process! And most of all: Take care of you and your family, to lose your family is even much worse than losing money!

1937 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
matsteiner says

Miseld – buddy there is a simple solution to that, you need to balance your marketplace input + freelance work. If you stop uploading new items on the marketplace, you will feel the effect from the second month upwards. And if you continue to accept freelance work continuously, it will affect your marketplace earning. Since Envato is your main source of income for you and your family, you need to make it your top priority.

Balancing “marketplace input + freelance work” is a great idea. That means – minimize the number of freelance work you accept at a time. Telling your client, ‘I would like to work on this project now but my hands are tied up with other projects at the moment’ – wont scare them off. They will understand. You can stop accepting freelance work for a week or so and create marketplace item and submit and then continue your freelance work.

Just my 2 cents!
Guess something like this could be the right direction!?
3772 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
miseld says

My conclusion: As long you have too much work, really try to concentrate on the things that bring you money, be nice with your customers, but be bold enough to not try to make everyone happy when there is no money to earn.
(the last thing I shouldn’t have written, otherwise you never put my music in your preview like promised :D but maybe that’s one of the things you shouldn’t do? :( )
I wish you (and me :) ) a lot of wisdom in this difficult process! And most of all: Take care of you and your family, to lose your family is even much worse than losing money!

Thanks, i know what i promise (man i need to think about your music in my video previews :) ), i will update but i don’t know when, you are not the only author who send me email i know when we help each other it will bring more for us all.

It would be great to hear few Authors from the TOP AUTHOR LIST from all marketplaces, to see how they manage their business and success?

1937 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
matsteiner says

No prob, don’t worry, like I said, maybe updating my music shouldn’t be very high priority as long you can do other more important things :)
Of course I would appreciate to work together for future projects too. If it’s easier for you, we can forget the other one and work together another time for a new project :) – whatever you want, I don’t want to push or annoy you ;)

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Simple math is your answer to this problem which is a common issue with freelancers who have not worked at say an agency or large webshop.

30 clients spending $100 p/month = 3,000.00

10 clients spending $300 p/month = 3,000.00

Simple answer – you charge too little. Increase your prices and the ones that respect your value of services will keep with you – if that means you lose 25 you only need to get 5 more to keep the same money.

Not all work is good work, be selective and find clients that respect your abilities, your work and your income.

This is also a great simple math equation to help set your hourly rate.

1 – work out how much you need per week to live at the standard you want (this is ‘X’) 2 – work out how many hours per week you want to work (this is ‘Y’)

X divided by Y = Z (this is your hourly rate)

so, I want to earn $1000 p/week, and work 40 hours -

1000 / 40 = $25 p/hour

If you need to calculate tax in to that equation just add a percentage on top of the ‘how much I want to earn per week’.

Now, the thing that causes issues for most new freelancers is they base it on exact figures – do not do this – basically from the above equation you half the hours to work – so you would then have the following:

1000 / 20 = $50 p/hr

This way you are only aiming for 1/2 your work week to be chargeable to clients at $50 p/hour – anything above that 20 hours = more money – this way you have room for growth, and not room for just working more hours.

I hope that helps someone :)

Jonathan

202 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
RoundedHexagon says

Simple math is your answer to this problem which is a common issue with freelancers who have not worked at say an agency or large webshop.

30 clients spending $100 p/month = 3,000.00

10 clients spending $300 p/month = 3,000.00

Simple answer – you charge too little. Increase your prices and the ones that respect your value of services will keep with you – if that means you lose 25 you only need to get 5 more to keep the same money.

Not all work is good work, be selective and find clients that respect your abilities, your work and your income.

This is also a great simple math equation to help set your hourly rate.

1 – work out how much you need per week to live at the standard you want (this is ‘X’) 2 – work out how many hours per week you want to work (this is ‘Y’)

X divided by Y = Z (this is your hourly rate)

so, I want to earn $1000 p/week, and work 40 hours -

1000 / 40 = $25 p/hour

If you need to calculate tax in to that equation just add a percentage on top of the ‘how much I want to earn per week’.

Now, the thing that causes issues for most new freelancers is they base it on exact figures – do not do this – basically from the above equation you half the hours to work – so you would then have the following:

1000 / 20 = $50 p/hr

This way you are only aiming for 1/2 your work week to be chargeable to clients at $50 p/hour – anything above that 20 hours = more money – this way you have room for growth, and not room for just working more hours.

I hope that helps someone :)

Jonathan

Great! Really good anwser, maybe it helps me too, thanks Jonathan :)

3772 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
miseld says

Thanks Jonathan, appreciate your help i will try that strategy for sure to see how it works.

by
by
by
by
by
by