148 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
loveetc says

One of the new theme has included all the premium stuff in it, and advertising like this:

Item price: $40

Price of the stuff included in it: $87

How can you include so much premium stuff in your item which cost more than double than the item price itself? Is this even allowed?

1179 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Is this even allowed?

Yes, it’s called bundling. For instance, a developer wants to create a theme with revolution slider, and so one can’t expect all buyers to own a copy. So you approach the developer of the plugin and arrange a fee for the inclusion of their plugin within your theme, this is usually at greater cost to the developer that it would be to a regular buyer.

The upshot is that the buyer gets a complete theme experience at a regular cost, the downside is that some developers currently think that the inclusion of premium plugins in a theme is what drives sales, and not the overall design / quality of the theme.

TL:DR – Totally fine as long as the developer made arrangements with the plugin authors. I’ve done it on some of my themes & probably 99% of other authors have this system on at least one theme.

12 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
STripepi says

This newly released theme also includes Woocommerce support in addition to the plugins mentioned by the OP. Since Envato determines prices, I think it was very kind of them to set it at only $40. And since it was approved by the reviewer the buyer can count on a stable and well coded theme. Thanks Envato!

459 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
pixel-industry says

Well this actually isn’t ok that theme that has Woo COmmerce plugin has 40$ price. With all those features it should be 50 – 55$. I think this is what themefusion ment about inconsistencies with theme pricing – http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/some-serious-questions-about-recent-pricing-/108053

230 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeFusion says

Yep, that’s exactly what we meant by inconsistency. And it’s not just one theme, it’s multiple.

That theme simply cannot be priced at $40, by the rules it has to be set at $55. Plain and simple.

230 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeFusion says

What’s even more crazy is there is a joomla version already out and it’s $45 without any type of ecommerce setup.

48 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Germany
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+1 more
minti says

What’s even more crazy is there is a joomla version already out and it’s $45 without any type of ecommerce setup.

Ha! That’s really weird. The pricing seems really random actually….

612 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

edit: argh never mind :)

367 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pixelgrade says

Welcome to the new trend among ThemeForest authors. Pack as many things as you can and try to deliver a decent design, and cross your fingers to go the [name removed] way :) I hope this trend will stop someday and buyers realize that the most value is in the design and in the way it allows you to add your content and branding without fearing that the initial design idea will be lost in the process. I for one can’t understand why someone would buy a theme for it’s mega flexibility (translation: you can create pretty much any site you like with it). At least some of the authors clearly state this from the theme name (like [name removed] :) – I know we should not call theme names but I couldn’t help it since it’s such a good example).

As a matter of fact, Envato should add a new category for WordPress, theme frameworks. Then things would be clear for everyone.

203 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
biyanpasau says

From my point of view, it should $35. The design is not that good and nothing special. People who bought [name removed] or another [removed]-like shouldn’t buy that theme.

Backtotopic: I really hate that kind of advertisement. Most ugly designs come with so many plugins bundled.

As a matter of fact, Envato should add a new category for WordPress, theme frameworks.
There’s a new category for that.

themelugin

by
by
by
by
by
by