490 posts
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
tacoMusic says

Hii everyone,

First post here, glad to see theres an active community on the AJ forums. I realise that what I’m asking is dependent on the quality of your work, possibly no. of tracks (although I’ve seen some people with huge sales and only like 18 tracks – how do they do that?) and a lot of luck, but I’m interested to know whether people use it as a real income, or some extra change?

I see it as a way to get satisfaction out of composing by sharing my work while also making a bit of change (if I could make it a serious income then fantastic), but does anyone depend on their AJ income as a primary salary? Or is AJ a supplement to other jobs?

Thanks for any responses!

Chris

150 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
BeyondTheVeil says

for me personally,and at this stage as im relatively new still,it greatly helps to top up my income. i know that you can have very few files in your portfolio and sell enormously well but this is dependant on a large number of winning factors.

if you can be very tuned into the market trends,have a great sense of self promotion and understand how to use all the web tools and assets to publicise what you do,you have patience,limitless energy and a drive to be successful.belief in what you do etc, then you stand a good chance of making a mark.

i spent a lot of time hawking a lot of top profiles here and doing this is an education alone.it only tells you half the story but what a journey indeed.

their are a good portion of AJ authors who make a significant income but im pretty sure none of them will say its easy, effortless etc.it takes a lot of work,passion and attention to detail in a ton of areas and lastly but most importantly, it takes talent.

I find a lot of authors here a big motivator in what they do and on a personal level, their are a ton of people on AJ that will help you,give you a boost and show you how to make a success of what your goals are if you ask them.

AJ is more and more about quality and giving potential clients a solid well produced,mixed and written piece of music that has a place in the big wide world.

so do spend a portion of your time doing a little AJ homework.check out the page layouts,tagging trends,descriptions and types of genre that hit home.

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Honestly, there’s no limit to what you can achieve on Audiojungle as long as your music is good.

The authors who are regularly active on here are making probably between $250-$750 a month after commission. The very best authors are making more than $1,000 a month, and probably the top 3 are making in excess of $2k a month, but I can’t be sure because I’m not quite there…yet ;)

301 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Reachground says

Hey there taco(yum)Music(

The other day when I was dreaming of the life (again) with passive income I did a quick calculation of the no. 1 seller last month. Hello timmcmorris :)

His prices ranges from $1 – $14, let’s say his average sale is $13 for now. Tim made Elite in the beginning of january so let’s assume he was close to 70% even last month. He’s also exclusive, at least with one account ^^

607 sales x $13 = $7.891×0,7 = $5.523

Now let’s count my sales this month.

4 sales x $1 = $4×0,5 = $2

Who do you want to be today?

;)

142 posts
  • France
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
mediamuse says

Yep Reachground.

I was thinking about an antitrust lawsuit against tim & co. ;)

Anyway, glad for him he can live of his passion.

To answer the original post, as a newcomer i make about 50$ a month since 3 month. My music isnt what it sell most, i started with electro / dnb and now try to compose for AJ to make money.

To be honest i cant understand how some top seller are selling so much when i specifically compare items with others. I never tred to invest in buying my item 6 time for it to go in weekly top seller to see if it could launch it but if this experience is working i should have the answer. xD

Good luck mate

719 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

@mediamuse: lol.

@Reachground: Calculation is quite off because you didn’t account for extended licenses in your equation :)

@tacoMusic: If you take what Russell said and what Gareth said and put it together, that is the entire equation.

If you are wanting to make significant money, your music must be of excellent quality , but more importantly, right for your customer base.

This one thing, the customer base, and the repeat customer, is the single most overlooked and misunderstood concept on the marketplace in my opinion.

I don’t mention this often, but will elaborate because I really am trying to help those who want more sales – too many authors don’t understand how to develop a customer base and create repeat buyers…this is why sales are so low, irregular and seemingly unpredictable.

The type of music you produce is actually largely irrelevant. GASP ...I know…., but I tell you it’s actually true. Many authors mistakenly believe that the corporate motivational category is the holy grail of AJ, and it simply isn’t.

Finding a niche, and becoming excellent at that niche, is the holy grail. There are customers in every category and genre but the problem is most authors try to be all things to all customers. They don’t take an honest evaluation of themselves and say “OK, what I am really the best at?” Instead of getting strategic and developing a target audience and well thought through plan, they just write whatever mood they are feeling that day and upload it hoping for a sale.

Then you see a thread on the forums “Why low sales?” I will tell you the honest truth why – because some are spending serious time and effort planning, strategizing, adapting and promoting – and songs don’t find sales by accident. They are taking sales because they are making very strategic decisions. Ever hear the saying “Failing to plan is planning to fail?”

Worse yet, most take the success of another and try to emulate it believing that the success is in a genre, style or song, when it isn’t. One person writes an uplifting song with whistles and claps and it sells well, so everyone emulates it because they believe the success was in the style or the instrumentation.

The success was in the strategy however. A strategy of listening with a careful ear to what the customer wanted and creating accordingly. Of examining ones own strengths and seeing where gaps in the marketplace exist. There are many other customers and gaps out there still, but no one has stepped into them yet….and patterns change.

I am not known for my intricate, complex Hollywood quality cinematic sequences like Gareth say, and I don’t try to be Gareth – and that is my strength. Gareth is not known for uplifting pop vocals, and doesn’t try to be me, and that is his strength.

A customer comes to the site and says, “I need some trailer music”. They will go looking for the guy they remember is “the trailer music guy”. Another customer says “I need some happy music” so they will go looking for the guy they remember as the “happy singing guy”.

So, a lot of words here, but here is the point: Find you niche, practice and push yourself to improve at your niche. If you want to be great at cinematic music, don’t try to be #1 on AudioJungle – try to be Hanz Zimmer. Aim for the very top and even if you don’t reach it your surely won’t be far from it. Develop a customer base and the sales will come!

I am not saying stick completely to one genre…by all means spread your wings! But don’t do so at the expense of losing your main customers. You will notice for every cinematic instrumental I will have 4 or 5 vocal tracks. Why? It’s not my strongest suit. If I write too many cinematic pieces, my “main” customers will start to jump ship.

Here is something to ponder:

Are YOU known to customers as the unpredictable author?

301 posts
  • Sweden
Reachground says

Are YOU known to customers?

No.

Joke aside. Well said Tim. I will go back to math class :)

62 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Russian Federation
NanoArt says

Tim, thanks a lot for the post!

Now I have much to ponder.

But still, I think it limited to one genre is not necessary. Strengths of the composer may be several.

302 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
alkis says

But still, I think it limited to one genre is not necessary. Strengths of the composer may be several.

Yes, but this is exactly what Tim said, don’t stick to one genre, but at least find your niche or generally your strongest points if you want to succeed in being unique at that in this specific marketplace.

For example, without really wanting to admit it, I seem to be better at making Logos and short Intros, than full tracks – I’m still not sure, but at least audiojungle clients seem to prefer my logo work, since my main Audiojungle income comes from logos and idents. Maybe it’s the arrangements, the melodies, maybe it’s just that they’re mostly electronic logos, so maybe I’m better at making electronic music than acoustic. So that’s a reason for me to try to create some electronic full tracks this year and see how it goes. At least that will be the first thing I’ll try, because that’s something that might give me better changes at improving my portfolio traffic and success. That’s also a reason for me to keep trying to improve my logo sounds and ideas, since I’ve created a steady circle of people interested in it. So these are the reasons why I agree with Tim on the niche thing.

On the other hand, I definitely believe that you always have to give time to yourself to experiment and try new things, after all that’s how you’ll find your strongest points in the first place. Also, broadening your portfolio sounds statistically generates more traffic.

428 posts
  • Latvia
Depard says

Tim,thank you for your great post. I realised that few days ago,when I decided to be best inRock music category,maybe after few yaers,but I will try:) And AJ needs autors in every single category,that’s true)

And now about topic:

My statistics. I started few months ago and I had only one Withdrawal-100$,that’s all:) Now I have another 100$ on my balance,so it means I made 50 per month:)

And I know if I will continue making music I will have 100$ per month after some time,couse everyone needs experience and now I can see which sort of music is not interesning for buyers and which is.

So income i getting bigger if you are doing something:)

by
by
by
by
by
by