96 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
mxpimp47 says

I want to be able to update a page with thumbnails (latest media section) that link to content that doesn’t include the thumbnail in the post! I have found a couple of custom post write up’s that almost work for what I want. But the thumbnail you use to link to the post, is displayed in the post. And I wouldn’t want that if I’m posting a video or gallery.

Here’s an example from a site www.vurbmoto.com “latest content”

any input would be appreciated, thanks!

951 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

In the CMS WordPress you have access to ‘custom fields’, these are ‘variables’ that can be filled in by you. On your contents page you then fetch these variables, on one page being the thumbnail, on the other a different image.

96 posts
mxpimp47 says

I’m not familiar with the custom fields and how to use it. I’ve read one tut on how to use it for “featured post” and that’s it, and I’m using it. Would you be willing to give me an example on how to make a thumbnail not show in the post? Thanks for such a quick reply, I appreciate it.

552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
OurWebMedia says
96 posts
mxpimp47 says

I read the codex, And I don’t know enough to be able to fully write something custom. That’s why I’m asking for HELP from you fine professionals. I’m new to this stuff, and have a lot to learn! I do a lot of reading/digging/google’n before posting on forums! Thanks again for your advice!

552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
OurWebMedia says

Hello,

My suggestion would be find a template that already does this and learn from it. View the source of some templates and reference that information with the WordPress codex. Trial and error is going to be your best learning tool.

It’s not a simple task, but its also not rocket science. If you reference like described above and just play around with your template you’ve current got, than in no time you should have working results.

Sorry I cannot be of any more help. Perhaps someone will be willing to give you a starter code.

Or perhaps your other option would be to find a freelancer. Either way, best of luck with your work.

96 posts
mxpimp47 says

I always look at code, and try to reverse engineer to replicate things or cool stuff people have developed or implemented. I haven’t found any templates that do this. I’m trying to learn all this kind of stuff to be a freelancer myself. If I can learn something from reading myself I have no problem at all doing that! I have worked my way up from the bottom. And as always have more to learn! My goal is very practical for no education other than online tut’s and a book or two. Hopefully someone can help me out a bit with this. It’s the last part of functionality I want for my first full blown site from scratch using wordpress! Thanks again for your help! Very quick responses in this community!

by
by
by
by
by
by