1579 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says
The only CMS I ’ve ever designed for is DotNetNuke because it’s what we use at my job. Granted, I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but I don’t think I would recommend it to anyone. I’ve heard great things about Drupal and WordPress though, so I might give those a shot in the near future.

Am I correct in assuming though that we don’t necessarily have to design for a CMS ? Can we upload pure xHTML and CSS ? It would probably just be harder to sell? This is where I got that idea:

It’s going to be a site where you can sell HTML /CSS Layouts as well as themes for just about every CMS you can think of…..

Hey gnarbury, you sure can! Plain HTML /CSS templates I suspect will be the biggest seller here (though I have no evidence whatsoever for that) seeing as they are the most widely applicable.

I’m pretty excited to see what buyers actually do when they get here!

3577 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I think Wordpress it’s one of the greatest’s CMS ’s and platforms..If you have a little bit PHP knowledge and lots of inspiration you can make a lot, starting only with wordpress

But to code a theme, i think you need to code it by yourself.. XHTML /CSS

90 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
siredesigns says

I would suggest Joomla!. You only have 1 index.php page and a you can load whatever stylesheets you need. You put the module positions and main text functions where they need to load, and you’re set. I can pump out a Joomla! theme in about 2-3 hours.

19 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
thomasb86 says

The easiet and most simple cms to make a theme for is by far Textpattern.

The only gripe i have about it is the backend of TXP could be much better, so if the TXP dev’s upgraded the back end with a make over, it would be much more appealing to use than it is at the moment.

125 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bgm Envato team says

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

I prefer WordPress. I’ve made a couple of designs for Joomla in the past, and I definitely will not be doing it again. Horrible experience. (Or maybe I was just too in-experienced then?)

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

haha, well yeah, Cushy is definitely the easiest to theme. But it’s more of a Content Editor than a CMS IMO .

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
rblalock says

There’s no doubt it’s Joomla. If the HTML /CSS is already done, I can get a Joomla template done in an hour.

7 posts
  • Located in Ukraine
devilcoders says

I work with Joomla, Drupal, E107 and Drupal is the best for me, very easy especially if you get the sence of their theme configuring on PHP .

8 posts
sfpavel says

tbh WordPress is the best CMS out there at the moment, easy to implement designs, easy to write stuff, easy everything

1 post
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
DAVlDFON says

I have been working with Sava CMS – its not a php based CMS though so the only drawback is hosting. For me I host other Coldfusion applications so it was a perfect fit. Its very easy to theme, and from a user’s standpoint, its much more powerful yet as easy to use as wordpress. For anyone else who has access to a CF host – its worth checking out. Its free open source. SavaCMS

As for my plans here – I plan to put up some HTML /CSS, some wordpress ( but I am only proficient in the skinning, not in creaitng admin add ons yet like the example here – great work!). I will probably post a Sava theme as well, since I work in it already.

by
by
by
by
by
by