• 9 Years of Membership
  • Affiliate Level 2
  • Australia
  • Author Level 6
+12 more
collis
Envato team
says
The only CMS I ’ve ever designed for is DotNetNuke because it’s what we use at my job. Granted, I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but I don’t think I would recommend it to anyone. I’ve heard great things about Drupal and WordPress though, so I might give those a shot in the near future.

Am I correct in assuming though that we don’t necessarily have to design for a CMS ? Can we upload pure xHTML and CSS ? It would probably just be harder to sell? This is where I got that idea:

It’s going to be a site where you can sell HTML /CSS Layouts as well as themes for just about every CMS you can think of…..

Hey gnarbury, you sure can! Plain HTML /CSS templates I suspect will be the biggest seller here (though I have no evidence whatsoever for that) seeing as they are the most widely applicable.

I’m pretty excited to see what buyers actually do when they get here!

3804 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author Level 11
  • Trendsetter
  • 7 Years of Membership
+12 more
KrownThemes
says

I think Wordpress it’s one of the greatest’s CMS ’s and platforms..If you have a little bit PHP knowledge and lots of inspiration you can make a lot, starting only with wordpress

But to code a theme, i think you need to code it by yourself.. XHTML /CSS

90 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Author Level 5
  • Collector Level 2
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
siredesigns
says

I would suggest Joomla!. You only have 1 index.php page and a you can load whatever stylesheets you need. You put the module positions and main text functions where they need to load, and you’re set. I can pump out a Joomla! theme in about 2-3 hours.

19 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 1
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
thomasb86
says

The easiet and most simple cms to make a theme for is by far Textpattern.

The only gripe i have about it is the backend of TXP could be much better, so if the TXP dev’s upgraded the back end with a make over, it would be much more appealing to use than it is at the moment.

125 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Affiliate Level 1
  • Author Level 3
  • Collector Level 4
+5 more
bgm
Envato team
says

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

352 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Affiliate Level 3
  • Author Level 5
  • Bundle Boss
+8 more
danharper
says

I prefer WordPress. I’ve made a couple of designs for Joomla in the past, and I definitely will not be doing it again. Horrible experience. (Or maybe I was just too in-experienced then?)

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

haha, well yeah, Cushy is definitely the easiest to theme. But it’s more of a Content Editor than a CMS IMO .

68 posts
  • 8 Years of Membership
  • Affiliate Level 5
  • Author Level 5
  • Collector Level 3
+5 more
rblalock
says

There’s no doubt it’s Joomla. If the HTML /CSS is already done, I can get a Joomla template done in an hour.

7 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 1
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ukraine
devilcoders
says

I work with Joomla, Drupal, E107 and Drupal is the best for me, very easy especially if you get the sence of their theme configuring on PHP .

8 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 1
sfpavel
says

tbh WordPress is the best CMS out there at the moment, easy to implement designs, easy to write stuff, easy everything

1 post
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 2
  • United States
DAVlDFON
says

I have been working with Sava CMS – its not a php based CMS though so the only drawback is hosting. For me I host other Coldfusion applications so it was a perfect fit. Its very easy to theme, and from a user’s standpoint, its much more powerful yet as easy to use as wordpress. For anyone else who has access to a CF host – its worth checking out. Its free open source. SavaCMS

As for my plans here – I plan to put up some HTML /CSS, some wordpress ( but I am only proficient in the skinning, not in creaitng admin add ons yet like the example here – great work!). I will probably post a Sava theme as well, since I work in it already.

by
by
by
by
by
by