• Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says
The only CMS I ’ve ever designed for is DotNetNuke because it’s what we use at my job. Granted, I don’t have anything else to compare it to, but I don’t think I would recommend it to anyone. I’ve heard great things about Drupal and WordPress though, so I might give those a shot in the near future.

Am I correct in assuming though that we don’t necessarily have to design for a CMS ? Can we upload pure xHTML and CSS ? It would probably just be harder to sell? This is where I got that idea:

It’s going to be a site where you can sell HTML /CSS Layouts as well as themes for just about every CMS you can think of…..

Hey gnarbury, you sure can! Plain HTML /CSS templates I suspect will be the biggest seller here (though I have no evidence whatsoever for that) seeing as they are the most widely applicable.

I’m pretty excited to see what buyers actually do when they get here!

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I think Wordpress it’s one of the greatest’s CMS ’s and platforms..If you have a little bit PHP knowledge and lots of inspiration you can make a lot, starting only with wordpress

But to code a theme, i think you need to code it by yourself.. XHTML /CSS

90 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
siredesigns says

I would suggest Joomla!. You only have 1 index.php page and a you can load whatever stylesheets you need. You put the module positions and main text functions where they need to load, and you’re set. I can pump out a Joomla! theme in about 2-3 hours.

19 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
thomasb86 says

The easiet and most simple cms to make a theme for is by far Textpattern.

The only gripe i have about it is the backend of TXP could be much better, so if the TXP dev’s upgraded the back end with a make over, it would be much more appealing to use than it is at the moment.

125 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
bgm Reviewer says

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
danharper says

I prefer WordPress. I’ve made a couple of designs for Joomla in the past, and I definitely will not be doing it again. Horrible experience. (Or maybe I was just too in-experienced then?)

CushyCMS has to be the easiest CMS in the world, I love using it, and my clients love it too ;)

haha, well yeah, Cushy is definitely the easiest to theme. But it’s more of a Content Editor than a CMS IMO .

68 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
rblalock says

There’s no doubt it’s Joomla. If the HTML /CSS is already done, I can get a Joomla template done in an hour.

7 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ukraine
devilcoders says

I work with Joomla, Drupal, E107 and Drupal is the best for me, very easy especially if you get the sence of their theme configuring on PHP .

8 posts
sfpavel says

tbh WordPress is the best CMS out there at the moment, easy to implement designs, easy to write stuff, easy everything

1 post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
DAVlDFON says

I have been working with Sava CMS – its not a php based CMS though so the only drawback is hosting. For me I host other Coldfusion applications so it was a perfect fit. Its very easy to theme, and from a user’s standpoint, its much more powerful yet as easy to use as wordpress. For anyone else who has access to a CF host – its worth checking out. Its free open source. SavaCMS

As for my plans here – I plan to put up some HTML /CSS, some wordpress ( but I am only proficient in the skinning, not in creaitng admin add ons yet like the example here – great work!). I will probably post a Sava theme as well, since I work in it already.

by
by
by
by
by
by