431 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
john says

Hey all,

Sorry for the long delay in getting this fixed (and commenting on the thread), looks like there were a few things that contributed to the delay.

It was mostly mis-communication within our own team… which is pretty embarrassing as we all sit right near each other. I’ll just quickly go through a the tech bit of the bug(s) and then I’ll go through how exactly we dropped the ball.

Tech wise:

• all date sorting is based on an item’s date of “publishing” rather than it’s creation, as that’s the time an author uploads the item.
  • we’ve got a pretty elaborate publishing backend behind the marketplace – it properly maps out the flow of an item from when an author originally uploads and item, to any reviewing that ever takes place, if we ever disable an item, etc. It’s pretty handy as it lets us write all kinds of reports like “on average how many soft rejections does it take for a new author to figure out our quality standards” and all kinds of other stuff.
  • A bug was found last week in the publishing system for a very odd case of items transitioning from the proofing queue, straight to being disabled, then being published for the first time after that where the item wouldn’t get a publishing date assigned to it and wouldn’t show up in the browse results
  • The fix for that was a bit overzealous, and started writing publish dates for items that had plain old updates approved and were brought forward in the sorting order.
  • The code now has been fixed to set up the dates properly

So what was with the extra FAIL with us?

The short answer is that we’re all kind of knee deep in all of the photodune prep work and to try and keep that project on schedule we’ve been shuffling work between different devs (funnily enough, 3 of us were involved in this at some point this week) and the actual cleanup work fell through the cracks.

Other FAIL details:

• the big influx of photos we’re getting made poring through the data a little trickier (notice we’re up to 93k in the footer?)
  • some of the items were old enough to have been proofed with the old, old proofing system that didn’t do the cool tracking of when things were published properly (and I had to manually dig through notes to figure out when they were published)
  • The title on the forum post wasn’t obvious to us that it was bug related and by random chance none of the dev team read it, and we had no idea you guys were all so cheesed off (we tend to be on the forums less when we’re really busy)
  • We have a whole bunch of automated tests around publishing dates (in fact we have heaps and heaps, see the image below) but it turns out we’d written tests that verify new items properly make it onto the front page, but none that verify that updates don’t. (pretty epic fail there) We’ve now added the extra tests so we shouldn’t see this happen again.

Our current test count

Oh, and for whichever wise-ass thinks it’s all as simple as

Item.all(:order => 'created_at')

it reads a little more like https://gist.github.com/886363

537 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
Hein says

@ John,

Thanks for the fine explanation but what we also really wanted to know.

edit: never mind, got confused but it seems everything is resolved now.

Thanks

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Located in Austria
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
TheBuckmaker says

hi John,

thanks for the details. Will you or somebody at Envato remove the old items from the top positions?

Up to now, there are still some themes that don’t deserve their positions, which hurts authors with new items and is kind of unfair.

2273 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

hi John,

thanks for the details. Will you or somebody at Envato remove the old items from the top positions?

Up to now, there are still some themes that don’t deserve their positions, which hurts authors with new items and is kind of unfair.

absolutely agree!

And also, not sure why, with an error this bad on a live site, why all devs were not poured over to fix things rather than work on a marketplace that isn’t even active yet – seems like bad management, as who really cares if a new marketplace misses it’s deadline by one or two days – no sales affected there….

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

And also, not sure why, with an error this bad on a live site, why all devs were not poured over to fix things rather than work on a marketplace that isn’t even active yet – seems like bad management, as who really cares if a new marketplace misses it’s deadline by one or two days – no sales affected there….

I think John explained really well what happened and why it played out like it did. We really shouldn’t assume that we understand nor judge the schedules and priorities of these guys. They admitted they were wrong and apologized for the issue and now I think it’s time to back down a little.

Thanks for providing such a detailed explanation, John.

431 posts
  • Located in Australia
+9 more
john says

Ah bugger.

I thought I’d fixed up the order of the existing ones… looks like I missed a few. I’ll do a quick cleanup now and try and get the rest.

edit OK, now i’m pretty sure I cleared the last ones out – they were troublesome items that were disabled during the wordpress 2.8 purge, then resubmitted once they were updated. Post back on this forum if you find any others you’re pretty sure shouldn’t be there and I’ll check them manually and put them back in their proper place.

Worst. Week. Eva.

431 posts
  • Located in Australia
+9 more
john says

I totally agree jonathan01 – in the process of handing the work over between ourselves the priority somehow got miscommunicated, and we had no idea this forum thread existed either. If we’d properly taken care of communicating amongst ourselves we would have jumped on it in a flash. Keeping the current marketplaces ticking along nicely is WAAAAY more important, it was a total process screwup on our end.

1141 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

A big yay for the fix: YAAAAY !!

4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market