60 posts High Quality Themes
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
HighThemes says

Hi, I’m developing a new WP them right now. You know one of the most awesome WP 3 .0 new features is custom post types which can help us create more CMSy themes.

But the problem (in my money) is, if you use it for portfolio, there will be a new post type for folio entries. That means if the buyer someday decides to use another theme, his/her portfolio items won’t be shown unless the new theme use exactly that custom post type.

What’s your idea? Should I use this feature or not?

What’s the other pros and cons?

69 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Sri Lanka
vinoj says

I did exactly the same thing in my theme voosky, http://themeforest.net/item/voosky-business-portfolio-8-in-1-wordpresstheme/110595 I created a custom post type for portfolio pages and be aware to give a category based method too. So buyer can decide which he or she should use for creating portfolio pages.

And I saw there is a wordpress plug in for creating custom post types, so I think it is not a big deal, even if your customers haven’t any knowledge about coding.

242 posts WordPress Theme Devoloper
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
kayapati says
I did exactly the same thing in my theme voosky, http://themeforest.net/item/voosky-business-portfolio-8-in-1-wordpresstheme/110595 I created a custom post type for portfolio pages and be aware to give a category based method too. So buyer can decide which he or she should use for creating portfolio pages. And I saw there is a wordpress plug in for creating custom post types, so I think it is not a big deal, even if your customers haven’t any knowledge about coding.

vinoj

I have seen your item it looks great.

I also would like to use custom post type for portfolio, but I am facing difficulty at giving the same look& feel for the subpages, like
  • Portfolio
    • webdesign
    • Logo Design
    • Marketing

Here I need all the pages main page and sub pages should look same style.

how can we achieve the above target using custom post type.

I tried using “taxnomies” but no luck.

Do you have any idea? can you point me to the right resource or tutorial?

Thanks ram

69 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sri Lanka
vinoj says

vinoj

I have seen your item it looks great.

I also would like to use custom post type for portfolio, but I am facing difficulty at giving the same look& feel for the subpages, like
  • Portfolio
    • webdesign
    • Logo Design
    • Marketing

Here I need all the pages main page and sub pages should look same style.

how can we achieve the above target using custom post type.

I tried using “taxnomies” but no luck.

Do you have any idea? can you point me to the right resource or tutorial?

Thanks ram

Hi kayapati,

Please check this out and let me know if it isn’t what you’re looking for:

http://www.designjuices.co.uk/2010/06/tutorial-wordpress-custom-post-types/

Sorry for the delay,

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

In my opinion, custom posts types are not quite ready for some scenarios. Portfolio seems ok I guess.

My latest theme had custom post types until I needed to spit out popular posts (plugin only supported posts/pages).

Also, archives (wp_archives) aren’t included for custom posts types, only posts. This is apparently to be fixed in 3.01.

69 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sri Lanka
vinoj says
In my opinion, custom posts types are not quite ready for some scenarios. Portfolio seems ok I guess.

My latest theme had custom post types until I needed to spit out popular posts (plugin only supported posts/pages).

Also, archives (wp_archives) aren’t included for custom posts types, only posts. This is apparently to be fixed in 3.01.

Yah I also faced the same difficulties that’s y I only limited it to portfolio type in voosky.

Even though M thinking about a new way to using them in my next theme, actually when it comes to organization purpose it’s quite helpful I think.

by
by
by
by
by
by