238 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Poland
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Mastergreed says

Funny story, when I finally created the best theme (in my opinion, I won’t post a link here, it’s against rules, go to my portfolio and look for “0 sales” theme, heh) in my life, turns out it’s not selling at all. First, I thought it’s because there’s no styles feature, so I’ve made a huge update, added 6 more styles, the black one, the tan one, red, blue, green, few custom widgets and some other features. Then, as it turns out, the file… still isn’t selling – but this time only because it didn’t sell in the past.

Here’s the “math”: people look at the item, they see “hey, it got 0 sales” and they think it must be terrible, how can they pay $25 if the item is so awful? Well… maybe it isn’t? But they won’t know this, as this “0 sales” is a reason good enough for them not to click the link in order to see some more details, and more than that – the live preview of the updated item.

I could delete the item and resubmit it, and maybe it would pass the review process again, but I would feel like breaking the rules, it wouldn’t be fair to other authors. So I’m stuck with this “0 sales syndrome” and I have no idea how to cure it – how to persuade people to click (I’m not saying “buy”, just “take a look at the details”)? Maybe devs could add something like “file updated, check out the big changes” badge which would be displayed next to the thumbnail? The reviewer would check the “big update” checkbox and the badge would stay there for let’s say… 2 weeks :P.

Nah… weird idea, I know… But this “0 sales syndrome” is really a pain in the back :(. Anyone else experienced it, perhaps? Tell me I’m not alone, heh. Or maybe the design itself is bad… Oh man…

537 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
Hein says

When one of my items sales are very low the first months or so then i’ll remove it and give it away for free at my blog ;)

49 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
Anthonyash says

Patience is a virtue my man. Maybe if you made a template version and submitted it, it would sell?

52 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
dougi1389 says

no offence but to be honest I dont think this is your best work so far, for some reason I just dont like the layout, logo and lack of dynamic colours ( as in you use just one solid block of colour)

Maybe buyers have the same opinion as me, and end up choosing a different theme.

good luck with what ever you do :)

530 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
darius9000 says

no, people are not buying it because it has 0 sales but because they don’t like it for some reason. in the past, i had 2 PSDs that had 0 sales and after a while i deleted them. it was kinda stupid to have items in portfolio that had no sells at all.

49 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • United States
Anthonyash says

Maybe, just maybe, people aren’t buying it because they don’t like it. I mean, 0 sales wouldn’t keep me from buying something if I liked it.

537 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
Hein says
Maybe, just maybe, people aren’t buying it because they don’t like it. I mean, 0 sales wouldn’t keep me from buying something if I liked it.

+1 that’s the way i look at items as well, don’t care if it has 0 sales or 1000 sales, if i like it then i buy it.

But you know most of the people are followers and they follow others without even bothering taking a look at the 0 sale files.

385 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+3 more
uDesignStudios says

Hey Mastegreed :)

I agree with dougi, I think you have better pieces in you portfolio. Although, 0 sales is quite rough… But things like this happen.

It is getting harder and harder to tell what buyers want. Their preferences change quickly because of the higher supply of high-quality themes. Sometimes it gets confusing and it is really hard to anticipate well what would make them go “Wow, I need this”. There are some authors on TF who have this ability, take for example kriesi. Looks like he knows the psychology of the buyers inside out :)

But things like this happen. Just move on, Im sure your next theme will do better. Good luck :)

715 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Belgium
Yaeko says

I’m with dougi here. The layout is unique but I find it heavy for the eye :/

248 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

I’m afraid I agree with a few others,

I’m put off by the layout etc, not the 0 sales. I’ll buy anything if I like it – I’m much more likely to be put off by really low * ratings and upset comments :)

Dan

by
by
by
by
by
by