2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

The only frustration for me is being forced by a TF rule to offer ie8 compatibiliy. If i wouldn’t, i couldn’t care less about govs/corporations. Last time i checked, chrome could be installed on winXP as well so there’s no need to upgrade the SO when you can just switch to a free/real browser.

If they don’t want to, who cares.

362 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

As a developer, particularly the case of corporate/business sites, the “I couldn’t care less” it’s not a good approach, but hey, it’s ain’t me dealing why customer frustration later on in support. You shouldn’t hurry to dismiss target individuals.

And if you think about it, it’s not a matter of updating the OS. It’s a matter of rules, regulations and bureaucracy. Software updates and installations in such cases need to be requested, pre-approved, then a “technician” is dispatched to do the update. The users don’t do it on their own, not allowed to. So take this case, multiply it with the number or corporations, government agencies etc, for each user and you’ll understand why even a browser update is a massive action. Unfortunately.

We’ll most likely have to wait for it to slowly die out or MS to take another massive action like they did with IE6.

2002 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

As a developer, particularly the case of corporate/business sites, the “I couldn’t care less” it’s not a good approach, but hey, it’s ain’t me dealing why customer frustration later on in support.
We have “browser support” in item description, if ie8 isn’t listed, it’s client decision to buy it or not so i don’t see how customer frustration plays a role here.

I prefer to lose a bunch of sales than getting mad at finding silly workarounds to ie bugs, as a developer being in this business since ie 3.0, i had enough of it.
6000 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

We have “browser support” in item description, if ie8 isn’t listed, it’s client decision to buy it or not so i don’t see how customer frustration plays a role here.

I prefer to lose a bunch of sales than getting mad at finding silly workarounds to ie bugs, as a developer being in this business since ie 3.0, i had enough of it.

Yes, IE8- is not only a development headache but sometimes heavily raises the development cost. This is why there should be a time when developers needs to be allowed to focus on latest versions. It is safe to drop IE8 if an item supports IE9 and 10.

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

The main reason why I’m asking this is coz there are themes and templates that don’t support IE8 (there are some with no support for ie9 also :D ). I want to know the rule, the one that affects everyone.

44 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+1 more
nicole_89 says

I hope there is no rule, let customers decide if they want ie8 support. I don’t mind having less sales if this saves me from having to deal with ie8 hacks.

3824 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

@aleluja without starting a shi**storm – we queried a file that did not support IE8 to support (we had to write in the necessary changes and in that instance was very difficult), and the official response we received was that it is no longer required and that this has been the case for some time, that authors knew this and that a public announcement was imminent

2002 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

the official response we received was that it is no longer required and that this has been the case for some time, that authors knew this and that a public announcement was imminent
954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

Well, apparently, by the responses on this thread it doesn’t seem like the authors knew that, but who knows, maybe we missed something.

Anyway, finally we can do some intended discrimination of IE8, yay :D

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
budslater says

Designers keep doing your fancy stuff it looks great….

I’ll just buy elsewhere ‘cause all of my clients need IE8 compatibility. Well those that actually care about sales/visitors etc – you know the boring stuff.

Oh, and don’t just say it’s IE8 compatible without checking because that really p**s people off!

by
by
by
by
by
by