11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Romania
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
florinanghel says

Mihai, in Romania employers redirect a part of the employee’s salaries into an account (at Casa Nationala de Pensii). According to your work history and the sum of money you have accumulated into that account, when you retire you will receive a certain monthly payment.

I believe you can still arrange for this to happen as a freelancer, but you have to be registered as a PFA (Persoana Fizica Autorizata) with Registrul Comertului and pay all the required taxes.

There is also the option to make a contract with a company that provides private retirement funds (most if not all banks offer such a service in Romania).

A final option is for you to simply save money in a private bank account and use them at your own discretion when you stop working or whenever you want.

P.S. I wrote all the important legal terms and official names in Romanian. I’m sorry if that caused confusion to people of other nationalities, but I tried to help Mihai as much as possible, while still helping the rest understand some of what I said.

1737 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

It depends on each country’s labor law. But in general:

- When you are employed, the company itself deducts from your salary an amount to pay for your insurance, social pension etc., So when you retire, those things “come home” with you. You did not recognize that you actually paid for it each month because the company itself does it.

- When you are a freelancer, you can still pay for these on your own. There are kind of social pension fund and private pension fund, or insurance. Just take a look around the insurance agencies, many package for you to choose. If you choose to be a freelancer then I recommend you do this. Because no one knows what may come tomorrow. Things are different when we are getting older, especially the health. :)

Whatever you choose, I think that living a life is not just about earning and spending. It’s about smartly saving and investing, too. It would be more and more helpful when we get older by times…

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

In the USA self employment tax ranges from 13%-28% of your total income per year depending on your state. Some of that goes towards social security which I assume I would get at that age (60 I believe) but from the looks of things that will never happen. We are better off burying the cash in the back yard.

1477 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Some are idealists and hardworkers, enough to turn their hobbies into their professions…
They never retire , and money comes home even before retirement ;)

100 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
StevenGliebe says

In the U.S. the government basically doubles your tax bill then claims to “invest” half of it for you because you are presumably incapable of making your own plans for the future. In reality (if you are younger), what is likely to happen is that money gets used up sooner than you retire, so as Tyler said:

We are better off burying the cash in the back yard.

In other words, we take advantage of private retirement investments with whatever we have left after the government forces us to pay the self-employment tax (social security and medicare).

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

In the U.S. the government basically doubles your tax bill then claims to “invest” half of it for you because you are presumably incapable of making your own plans for the future. In reality (if you are younger), what is likely to happen is that money gets used up sooner than you retire, so as Tyler said:

We are better off burying the cash in the back yard.
In other words, we take advantage of private retirement investments with whatever we have left after the government forces us to pay the self-employment tax (social security and medicare).

I think the system was a great idea when it was created. It was not designed to keep up with the times, inflation, and the massive influx of baby boomers who are currently crippling Social Security. My generation will most likely never see a dime from the system regardless of giving them a third of our money every year.

By all means you should pay your taxes, not doing so is a horrible idea. If you can afford to invest in some other form of retirement I would say its a much better idea than relying on uncle sam.

4140 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

I’d love to know more about how I can get money to come home with me :P
you cannot retire. you’re the chosen one*

* as in the person who will, for the rest of his life, listen to our rants, report back to devs and being yelled at because of that.

BF
With your coding skills I’ll sure be worried for you Fab` , don’t call me bro` and asking me for money :P
447 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
Sleightofhand says

Best post title of the month…so far