93 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Alexhughes says

Hello there, Over the last couple months I have kept running in to the exact same problem. I do not know where to get constructive criticism and advice on projects I have produced. I’ve never seen anyone ask on these forums for opinions on projects that are not potential items for TF.

So where do you guys get your feedback from before (1)it goes live (2) Presented to client?

1589 posts Chris Robinson
    Located in United States Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

normally I run my projects by other close peers in the business, used to use the forums on StyleGala back in the day (few years ago) when it was good

115 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Won a competition
zigmat says

I ask for opinions my wife first :)

72 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
denkGroot says

I have a friend who is also into webdesign and we both criticize eachother. Once I’m pretty satisfied myself I usually show it to close family to ask about their opinions. After some edits I then post it online. I often get great feedback on forums like this one here at TF!

698 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

I usually make some “low cost” usability tests. I send it to couple of my friends for review. You wouldn’t believe how much constructive and useful input You can get from people who are not in Web industry.

72 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
denkGroot says
You wouldn’t believe how much constructive and useful input You can get from people who are not in Web industry.

Exactly! When I see them browsing my website for the first time I notice things like finding the navigation bar and stuff. For instance, I saw some relatives trying to click navigation bars that were displayed in screenshots on my template. They thought it was a part of my website and couldn’t recognize the portfolio part of it.

250 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

When I produce templates for TF I put them up on the forum and my followers on twitter, I normally get around 5 or so designers from twitter critiquing my work and a fair amount on the TF forums.

Now when I’m working on my own projects, redesigns, clients etc. I will use twitter again and then use the FreelanceSwitch forum, its all about getting engulfed in the industry, making connections and then you will normally get a lot of people letting you know what they think. FreelanceSwitch is one of the best places to get critique because there are designers on there with years and years of experience and are not afraid to give you constructive criticism. I never ask friends and family because you know they are gonna say they like it even if its crap :)

93 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Alexhughes says

Thanks for the response. I find asking peers to be a failure most of the time as 9/10 the project is a group effort and are all seeking the same. The latest project was one of our own websites and was the first I had done myself in a while, when they threw me the buck the get some feedback I was pickled.. sat there for a good half hour just trying to remember where I used to go, who I used to ask.

I never ask friends and family because you know they are gonna say they like it even if its crap :)

That is the exact feeling I get. Not many of my friends are in the industry so I often get the response, “Thats nice”.

I think freelance switch might be my best bet.

Cheers again!

2019 posts Review Manager
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
I never ask friends and family because you know they are gonna say they like it even if its crap :)

lol, my friends and family tell me what they really think most of the time. I guess it helps though that most of my friends are designers, lol.

The first person I ask is my girlfriend usually since she’s near me most of the time doing homework or something. It’s fun when I ask her because she says, “I don’t like it.” I’ll ask her why and she’ll say, “I don’t really know but something is off and it needs some more work.”

lol, all I need to know is that some people think something is wrong with it and I can usually figure it out myself or with the help of other designers with “fresh eyes”.

As simnor said, Twitter and Forums of other designers/developers that engulf you in the industry, provide valuable feedback and create great connections/networking will make you better at what you do. :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by