111 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
wallfish says

Guys, I recently exported the WordPress content as for a back up if my content goes crashing. I exported the XML file I guess. What I understood is the file will bring back all the text and post related stuff. But how will it recover the content and images? Do I need to host it somewhere so it can retrieve or how does the included media content gets recovered? Thanks :)!

629 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
+5 more
Pirenko says

Exportation only saves path to the content (not the content itself). If your Wordpress database is broken the images will still be where they were before so you can import your content once again.

111 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
wallfish says

Exportation only saves path to the content (not the content itself). If your Wordpress database is broken the images will still be where they were before so you can import your content once again.

Thanks for the response. So if my hosting crashes or for example my files gets deleted with the database it’s less likely to recover the content and posts?

74 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Taaz says

Afaik an export doesn’t export images and media/files used in Wordpress posts, it just gives your import file a direct link to where those files previously were hosted so it can re-download and use them in your new import. If your hosting crashed and those files no longer exist your importer won’t be able to find them.

But all posts, pages, categories, etc., are saved within your xml, you’ll just be missing media & files.

by
by
by
by
by
by