322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

I can’t take many more of the big, boxed-or-fullwidth, huge fancy layer slider, 4-column services, 4-column portfolio items, 4-column blog posts, big footer, cardboard cutout themes. Any more and I think I’m going to throw up. Mike put it perfectly on his site a few months ago: http://mikemcalister.com/you-can-do-better-things/
Maybe Mike can show us how to do it then, because looking at the themes that he sells, I can’t see much creativity not to mention some of them might not even be approved on TF :P

There seems to be a common misconception around here that “creativity” is synonymous with “freakishly out of the ordinary”. I am so tired of hearing people around here claim they “can’t afford to be creative” because ” it doesn’t make money”.

Being creative doesn’t mean bubbling up some strange, futuristic, frankenstein interface. But that seems to be what a lot of people around here think they’re being told to do whenever somebody asks to see something different.

scaryphantasm just summed up exactly what I’m talking about… he says creative templates are bad for usability. So I can only assume, just as I’ve said above, that he is imagining some strange, crazy, alien interface when he imagines something “creative”.

Doing something different, or being “creative”, can be as straight-forward as putting a simple & refreshing spin on something tired and overdone.

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

The issue of giving buyers what they want doesn’t distinguish 2 types of buyers on TF imo. The WP newbies (maybe slightly experienced) who are doing one-off projects for their boss or on their own, and the other being ‘career’ buyers like myself who are giving more serious thought to the theme being selected. I don’t understand, how are authors going about ‘listening’ to buyers?

1312 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
LGLab says

I can’t take many more of the big, boxed-or-fullwidth, huge fancy layer slider, 4-column services, 4-column portfolio items, 4-column blog posts, big footer, cardboard cutout themes. Any more and I think I’m going to throw up. Mike put it perfectly on his site a few months ago: http://mikemcalister.com/you-can-do-better-things/
Maybe Mike can show us how to do it then, because looking at the themes that he sells, I can’t see much creativity not to mention some of them might not even be approved on TF :P

There seems to be a common misconception around here that “creativity” is synonymous with “freakishly out of the ordinary”. I am so tired of hearing people around here claim they “can’t afford to be creative” because ” it doesn’t make money”.

Being creative doesn’t mean bubbling up some strange, futuristic, frankenstein interface. But that seems to be what a lot of people around here think they’re being told to do whenever somebody asks to see something different.

scaryphantasm just summed up exactly what I’m talking about… he says creative templates are bad for usability. So I can only assume, just as I’ve said above, that he is imagining some strange, crazy, alien interface when he imagines something “creative”.

Doing something different, or being “creative”, can be as straight-forward as putting a simple & refreshing spin on something tired and overdone.

Fair point, but come on, don’t tell me everything on TF is exactly the same, yes there are trends, that’s just normal, but there are plenty of very creative and different themes coming out regularly.

I’m personally getting tired of people expecting the world for $40. If you have such needs that cannot be fulfilled with what there is on TF, there is always the option of hiring a developer.

I just don’t believe TF lacks creativity, sure there could be more, but there is plenty if you look, and if the popular section has a great % of “trendy/same looking” themes, then maybe there is a reason.

137 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Halloween Competition Winner
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FamousThemes says

I think there are a lot of creative templates here. A lot meaning 20-30% of all. Pretty much considering the nr if items on this market.

The rest of the procents are just themes that follow the sales trends. And authors who follows the necesity of making money, wich is normal. At the end of the road this is a market, and not an art gallery.

There are authors and authors, the ones that follow the revenue, and some others that express the talent.

The good thing I see it’s happening, is the buyers beeing active, talk on the forum, express their needs, and I am pretty sure a section dedicated to them, like a themes requests section…. will improve the themes submited. Will make the authors create more themes that are custom requested.

58 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United States
voodoodesigns says

Thank you for the replies. There are some creative templates on here but they just seem far and in between. Some of you are correct, Flash made things so fluid and I guess that is harder to do in HTML. I do not agree with the statement about only $40.00. Flashden produced some really outstanding templates for that price range and the sales for such templates were outstanding at least from what i can tell by looking at the amount sold so I do not think that’s really a reason for the same templates styles over and over. Again folks I highly respect the work you all do and really appreciate looking at the different works. No disrespect intended. I am just stating that as a long time customer I would really love to see more creative work in the Themeforest end of the top quality templates. I can tell you as a customer when I look the first think I do is look for gold stars down the list and then next the amount of sales. Anyway I just wanted to provide feedback and to ask that you all let the creative juices run wild. I am always shopping for more!

by
by
by
by
by
by