• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
StockDesignMan says

Hi everyone! My name is Santiago, and I am in eleventh grade. Although my badge says I live in Canada, I actually live in Mexico (I lived in Canada for only one year, but I haven’t changed my user information, hehe sorry for the misled). Well, first of all, happy new year to everyone! So, like the subject of this thread says, I would want to know your experience and opinion about this matter. Where should I study? I want to study digital arts, but in Mexico, this field is not very developed. Therefore, my best option is to go study abroad. The problem I have now is that, I have no idea where to look up for the best universities! And like I said before, this field is not very developed in Mexico, so I don’t know any one that can help me choose an university that has this career. So that is why I have came to you: where to study digital arts? My best, and only option so far, is Santa Fe University of Arts and Design in New Mexico. Lastly, imagine that the money is not a problem.

Thanks in advance! Santiago

475 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
LuisFaus says

Hola Santiago,

While i don’t live in that part of the world; I would recommend getting a few dvds and/or a course online with Gnomon School as you will be able to really hit it off in any of the creative fields you might choose. They also got classrooms in California if you want to go personally there.

Miami international design university and New York film academy are also well recommended. And/or you can go back to Canada to study in Vancouver Film School which from my understanding is one of the best schools along side with Gnomon Studios.

Hope it helps.

348 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
StockDesignMan says

Hola Santiago,

While i don’t live in that part of the world; I would recommend getting a few dvds and/or a course online with Gnomon School as you will be able to really hit it off in any of the creative fields you might choose. They also got classrooms in California if you want to go personally there.

Miami international design university and New York film academy are also well recommended. And/or you can go back to Canada to study in Vancouver Film School which from my understanding is one of the best schools along side with Gnomon Studios.

Hope it helps.

Que tal Luis,

I have been browsing the sites you gave me, but before anything else, thanks very much for the answer, it is very appreciated. I have some things to say. I forgot to mention that what I look most of all is digital arts emphasis in illustration, not emphasis in video, film, motion, etc. So these universities do not apply much to me, although, some of them have courses of digital painting and related things. Lastly, Gnomon School looks very good; although they are very expensive.

Gracias de nuevo!

Santiago

149 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
davidossahdez says
Take a look at these courses, maybe you can find something that you’re interested in:
http://filmvideo.calarts.edu/programs/character-animation
https://www.digipen.edu/academics/degree-programs/digital-art-and-animation/course-sequence

Both of them have a strong illustration and animation emphasis. Hope that helps.
By the way, just as a side note, most featured film directors come from Calarts. That only can means that they have a really good quality program! Take a look at this table
2063 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
Graphic-Studio says

Have you tried Adobe TV for their tutorials.

That way you can pick and choose that area you may like the most.

Better to first investigate your options.

Maybe you want to go to 3D, Maybe Photoshop, InDesign or Web Design.

Narrow down your courses that you want to learn.

Learn as much as you can for free, Try the Softwares, Use the Video Tutorials then decide where to go from there.

Sure you can enroll in a school – but why, when you first need to know what your passion might be.

Buenos Suerte!

7134 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

what you want to do after you study at this hypothetical school? What type of job?

172 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Philippines
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Exclusive Author
AbelLangbid says

i once read this article about going to Art School. its a sad truth.

Don’t Go to Art School

2001 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Don’t Go to Art School

I actually see it exactly the other way round. It’s not a sad truth that art schools are too expensive, it is a wonderful truth that nowadays learning is so much easier and unexpensive via online courses and all the other stuff the author recommends here.

Of course, it is still a shame that some art schools are so expensive. But as I’m from Germany, I always wonder about the huge university fees you have in north america – or better said, that the only universities that are worth going to are in the private sector and therefor cost so much.

Here you can study almost everything for free.

348 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
StockDesignMan says

what you want to do after you study at this hypothetical school? What type of job?
I don’t know exactly what type of job I’ll be doing. My brother says that I shouldn’t worry too much about that, that it will come. Do you know what I mean? Anyway, I want to work in things such as: mascot design, web design, and most of all, illustration for things (web pages, books, etc).
348 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
StockDesignMan says

Don’t Go to Art School

As I said in my first post, imagine money doesn’t matter. I cannot fully pay for an art university, but I can get a scholarship (hopefully a full scholarship). The article you sent me is very interesting, and very helpful. Thank you!

by
by
by
by
by
by