429 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UXbarn says

Hi,

I’m looking for a backup & restore software which is reliable and fast. After searching for the reviews, I found that the topic is quite subjective. Many reviews and comments are different from site to site, so, I’m not sure which one to pick. Anyway, my shortlist is as following:
  • NovaBACKUP Professional 14.1
  • Macrium Reflect v5
  • Acronis True Image 2013
Which one would you suggest or do you have any other choices to recommend?

Thanks! :)

1745 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
gbs says

I have been using Acronis for recent years and there’s no problem so it’s my +1 :)

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I’m interested in the responses to this. I’ve been through so many failed backup systems. If it’s not the software that fails it’s the hardware you put the backup on. It turns me into a pirate. Arrrrrrrgggg!

Here’s how I do backups. I have a local mirror or my OS for redundancy. If my primary drive fails I can immediately switch to the mirror (nightly sync) and not lose any work time. I have 2 external eSATA drives I use to create image file backups of: 1) My work files and 2) My OS, again so I can restore incrementally or a specific file or date.

It’s taken some work to get this completely setup, but I’m happy with the configuration. I wish I had an offsite backup too, but I will get to that eventually. I’ve found that backup programs are temperamental and eventually fail or don’t work properly. I hate having to install multiple backup programs just to do what I need but for now there doesn’t seem to be any alternative. One thing I can tell you for certain is that the Windows 7 backup utility included with Windows will fail eventually. I’ve never been able to get it to work more than 6 months.

429 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UXbarn says

@gbs:

Acronis looks great to me too! Did you also get “Plus Pack” for True Image? I’m wondering that do I need to buy it and can I completely manage my backup & restoration without it? Any advice?

@Parallelus:

Your solution is awesome but it sounds very complicated to me. :mad:

I agree with you about the built-in backup system from Windows 7. Unbelievably, I couldn’t even create a system image so that’s why I’ve never tried going further with it too. :(

I used to use Memeo Premium before but decided to stop using it after re-installing the OS. It often crashes while doing backup and doesn’t work properly like you said and yeah, it already took me $49.95 for nothing. (The strange thing is that the problems never happened within a trial period, lol.)

by
by
by
by
by
by