6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
saqibsarwar says

Hi,

I am planning to start designing my first PSD template for TF. But I was wondering which category is Hot now days ?

thnaks

6 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
caneruguz says

Actually a lot of the themes look almost EXACTLY THE SAME to me these days. With the same slider effect and below three sections of featured stuff. This is really getting annoying. I don’t know if my request would help you sell a lot of themes but I want more creative themes with different navigation and page options that still include high end technology like the sliders. I especially like the Morpheus theme (here http://themeforest.net/item/morpheus/88343). I think it’s high time some originality came to this great market.

738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
Actually a lot of the themes look almost EXACTLY THE SAME to me these days. With the same slider effect and below three sections of featured stuff. This is really getting annoying. I don’t know if my request would help you sell a lot of themes but I want more creative themes with different navigation and page options that still include high end technology like the sliders. I especially like the Morpheus theme (here http://themeforest.net/item/morpheus/88343). I think it’s high time some originality came to this great market.

I understand you want to see more of that, but the problem is the majority of people don’t. If you compare the sales of something considered ‘original’ nowadays with one of the generic slider/3 or 4 column templates, you’ll see it just isn’t as profitable for the author.

PS: When people want an ‘original’ template, what they should be looking for is custom work, not a template.

6 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
caneruguz says

You’re right about the demand issue. But in that case it’s pointless for the author to ask people what is on demand. Just look at what sells most and do something very similar to that.

On the point of custom themes though I don’t fully agree. Leaving aside the cost of a custom template, something can be original not in the sense that it has to be UNIQUE , but in the sense that is has to be different than the current mainstream. You’re right that such a theme would by definition sell less because it will undoubtedly serve fewer people. But don’t you think the themes on offer are getting to be too similar? Is that necessarily a good thing?

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
saqibsarwar says

Thanks caneruguz and jar for sharing your thoughts

I really felt what caneruguz is feeling about mainstream themes and I also love to create something new and different. As I think there should be some creativity in every item one produces and I hope that if the item has quality than there are really good chances to get good sales.

374 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
_rohan says

Honestly, I believe that there can be originality without actually stepping away from conventions.

Look at Epicera, for example. ShapeShifter and Flex are unconventional, but no radically new. And they sold well :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by