6 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
john_g says

Hi guys,

I’m helping a mate of mine start a business. It’s an online fishing review, report and tackle shop. The sites main objective will be to deliver fishing reports, latest tackle/gear reviews, weekly fishing videos, and then a webstore, where the latest rods and gear will be sold.

I began developing the site in Magento as it was originally going to be just a webstore. But my friend changed his mind, and decided to focus more on reviews, fishing reports and videos – much like a blog or a news site – I feel that Magento is great for ecommerce solutions but not for a news/reviews site.

Im wondering which CMS will be best suited for this purpose?? Maybe Joomla/Virtuemart? What about Wordpress? I would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers, John

3114 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says
Hi guys,

I’m helping a mate of mine start a business. It’s an online fishing review, report and tackle shop. The sites main objective will be to deliver fishing reports, latest tackle/gear reviews, weekly fishing videos, and then a webstore, where the latest rods and gear will be sold.

I began developing the site in Magento as it was originally going to be just a webstore. But my friend changed his mind, and decided to focus more on reviews, fishing reports and videos – much like a blog or a news site – I feel that Magento is great for ecommerce solutions but not for a news/reviews site.

Im wondering which CMS will be best suited for this purpose?? Maybe Joomla/Virtuemart? What about Wordpress? I would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers, John

I think wordpress would suit this type of site well maybe with WP e-commerce plugin to suit the store

284 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
Shellbot says

You never hear much about Drupal around here so it’s probably really unpopular and I’ll get flamed but I find it much more flexible for creating sites with lots of different content. With the CCK and Views modules I just find it’s better for creating things like “10 last gear reviews” blocks and suchlike and being able to quickly update/move them around. I’d especially recommend it if you’re hoping to have people register and take part in the site. The major ecommerce module for that is called Ubercart.

On the other hand WP’s new custom post types would make this very much doable in WP as well, it all really comes down to whether you need much user interaction and how big the site is going to be (as well as which CMS you actually prefer using, of course).

Note: I’m assuming you’d want review type posts to look different to regular blog/news posts, and so on, to give it a bit of variety. If they’re all going to look the same, have the same fields, etc etc then just use WP and put them in different categories :P

2429 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

WordPress FTW !

As Michelle said – custom post types. Add membership plugins or e-commerce ones to that and you got a rock-solid site ;)

962 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
EireStudio says

Wordpress :)

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

magento free for comunity does not have a very good cms system. if u would like to pay for it use magento. i have worket with virtuemart too, its more primitive than magento but it does the job + joomla for cms is very good. i have worked for online shops with content and joomla + virtuemart did the job very well. olso keep in mind that joomla 1.5 uses tables for the content output, so you are a little bit limited for design. u can use joomla 1.6 beta that has only div structure but its not recomanded beeing in beta testing. wp e commerce is ever more primitive than virtuemart so i recomend u do not use it only if u want a minimal website.

by
by
by
by
by
by