7 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
CNW says

Hi! (first post)

I’m currently working on a WP theme and after having read Themeforest’s TOS I ’m unsure about where I should be getting my images from and under what license. By that I mean specifically images that appear in theme presentation such as this. Do I actually need to purchase royalty images strictly for theme display? I want to emphasize I don’t intend to deliver those images as a bundle together with the theme itself, they are there merely for impression and observation.

Thanks and I hope to get some responses that clarify this.

629 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VagrantRadio says

Just don’t use anything with models in it or that is copyrighted by someone else unless they are free for redistribution or you purchased a license.

7 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
CNW says
Just don’t use anything with models in it or that is copyrighted by someone else unless they are free for redistribution or you purchased a license.

I’m still not sure what you mean.

Do I need an extended license to display them? (NOT distribute) Or does a standard license (the cheapest on istockphoto for example) would suffice?

Does that have anything to do with models in terms of permission? I mean, once you buy a standard license for a photo you’re the owner of that photo in regards to the license you purchased it, isn’t that correct?

659 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
luckykind says
1028 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

You are talking about the images in your live preview, and this has come up many times in the forum.

Basically, your live preview is your OWN site. You can put whatever images you want on there. As long as they aren’t being distributed in the actual file your selling, it’s not Envato’s concern. However, keep in mind that your live preview is a website, after all, so you should abide by the basic rules of all websites. This means you probably shouldn’t be going around ripping off people’s images and posting them, as that is illegal.

You will see many theme forest authors with pictures from movies and similar things on their live previews, which you can assume they most likely do not hold a copyright for, and that is their personal decision to do that at their own risk.

Check out this link, too:

http://blog.themeforest.net/resources/photos-images-and-icon-resources/

7 posts
CNW says
You are talking about the images in your live preview, and this has come up many times in the forum.

Basically, your live preview is your OWN site. You can put whatever images you want on there. As long as they aren’t being distributed in the actual file your selling, it’s not Envato’s concern. However, keep in mind that your live preview is a website, after all, so you should abide by the basic rules of all websites. This means you probably shouldn’t be going around ripping off people’s images and posting them, as that is illegal.

You will see many theme forest authors with pictures from movies and similar things on their live previews, which you can assume they most likely do not hold a copyright for, and that is their personal decision to do that at their own risk.

Check out this link, too:

http://blog.themeforest.net/resources/photos-images-and-icon-resources/

Thanks! That’s exactly the answer I was looking for.

by
by
by
by
by
by