• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says

Just a simple question cuz I’m going to buy a new monitor and I’d like to know what you guys would prefer if it were you. A standard monitor or a widescreen one? It’s mostly going to be used for Graphics work.

Currently I have monitor which is 5 years old so that pretty much explains the reason to buy a new one. I’m slightly interested also because I got myself a new system recently. Here are my system details if anyone’s interested:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93 GHz (Yep, I didn’t go with ‘I’ series)
4GB of RAM
500GB HD
Nvidia GT240 1GB

Edit: Could anyone please move this to ‘All Marketplaces’?

1716 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

I think if you like to have large monitor, you should buy a widescreen :)

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Raincutter says
I think if you like to have large monitor, you should buy a widescreen :)

Actually it’s not about having a large monitor. I’d really like to know if widescreen is what everybody uses. I had problems using it since at my office I have a widescreen monitor and at my home I have a standard monitor. While working at office I worked according to the widescreen thus making thin design elements and type looking normal and when I saw that same design at my home PC, it looked excessively thin.

NechitaPaulFlavius
NechitaPaulFlavius Recent Posts
Threads Started
311 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+2 more
NechitaPaulFlavius says

Hi Raincutter,

I think this decision belongs to you only.I had a problem with monitors too,not knowing which and why.But a widescreen can be set to a resolution that will not distort the project(this was my problem,I thought that a widescreen monitor will destroy work, stretch it out.).I am using 1440×900 on my widescreen and everything is ok.As for the graphics part,I don’t really know if there is a difference between wide and notmal.Nice specs on your PC by the way.

131 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+1 more
sevenstyles says

2 widescreen monitors :P works wonders :)

482 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+3 more
IncredibleWand says

The dude is right :D, that’s what i would do. But if you think you would have trouble when designing you could try to buy two normal 19” / 20” monitors. You will have a lot of space and you can say you have a really big wide screen :p.

I used to have two monitors like this at work and made my job a lot easier.

330 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Romania
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+1 more
Artorius says

Although it may sound odd, a CRT monitor will display colors more accurately than an LCD one. I had a CRT monitor for a long time, which I did not want to change. Recently, I bought a performance notebook (intel core i5) but I find quite strange using it’s screen, as I had not tried photoshoping on other notebooks before I bought this one.

LCD ’s have the problem of changing colors with viewing angles, and having bright blacks. Plasma screens are good though :)

3085 posts
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Raincutter says
Hi Raincutter, I think this decision belongs to you only.I had a problem with monitors too,not knowing which and why.But a widescreen can be set to a resolution that will not distort the project(this was my problem,I thought that a widescreen monitor will destroy work, stretch it out.).I am using 1440×900 on my widescreen and everything is ok.As for the graphics part,I don’t really know if there is a difference between wide and notmal.Nice specs on your PC by the way.
That’s the problem with widescreen. It stretches graphics. Thus when I see it on my CRT monitor, the result seems to be thinner and looks odd.

The dude is right :D, that’s what i would do. But if you think you would have trouble when designing you could try to buy two normal 19” / 20” monitors. You will have a lot of space and you can say you have a really big wide screen :p.

I used to have two monitors like this at work and made my job a lot easier.
Don’t have enough budget.

Although it may sound odd, a CRT monitor will display colors more accurately than an LCD one. I had a CRT monitor for a long time, which I did not want to change. Recently, I bought a performance notebook (intel core i5) but I find quite strange using it’s screen, as I had not tried photoshoping on other notebooks before I bought this one. LCD ’s have the problem of changing colors with viewing angles, and having bright blacks. Plasma screens are good though :)
Nope. That doesn’t sound odd. That’s the second reason why I want to stay with my CRT monitor because it displays color better than anything else. As you’ve already stated, the LCD shows different colors from different angles.

Thanks all of you guys for the suggestions. Well it looks like it’s not just me who have these problems. So anyone else who has tips, solutions, etc.?

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

Hey raincutter, I told you about large screen, as if you want a > 20 inches monitor, a widescreen one is cheaper than a standard – as far as I know in my market.

I’ve worked with standard monitors for years, and I find no reason to change to wide – just because I already got acquainted to that. Although with a widescreen, watching movie is great, but I chose standard.

However, honestly I think people are changing to widescreen, sooner or later.

207 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
diegomonzon says

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by