16 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
gerardbm says

Which options framework for WordPress do you recommend?

A lot of good themes are using SMOF, but this framework is not supported anymore since some weeks ago. That means that some themes will need to migrate (mainly to Redux). SMOF had good improvements, though: Google Fonts Preview, radio selector with images, easy to integrate in a theme.

Option-Tree is also a very good option, I think. It’s the Envato’s options framework, easy to install and it includes an UI builder (for me it doesn’t save the changes at the moment). One of the disadvantages is the array: every array includes a lot of elements. The type of options is very complete also. I wonder which good Premium Themes are using it.

The most recent and popular framework is Redux. It’s similar to SMOF, but very new, so it hasn’t a lot of information about it. For me, one disadvantage is that in order to retrieve the options, you need to call the variable with GLOBAL (SMOF also).

Is there a good options framework that uses the get_option() function without modifications? (such of_get_option() or (ot_get_option()).

Finally, a framework of own creation. I already have one with some types of options. The problem of my own page options is the design: I can group the options in sections, but lineal (title, open, options, close) and represent it as a table or inside a jQuery accordion; but I don’t know how to redistribute the options for a tabbed javascript (like others: SMOF, OT, Redux…).

Do you recommend to use one options framework or an options page of own creation? I’m really interested on using the native function get_options() to retrieve theme. More than 100 options already retrieved in a full theme; and I don’t like to call the GLOBAL variable every time.

125 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Romania
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
bucur says

At this point i make a theme that uses Option-Tree very ise to use. Redux is pretty good. If you do not want to complicate things you can try and customizer.
I recommend Option-Tree …

16 posts
  • Located in Spain
gerardbm says

At this point i make a theme that uses Option-Tree very ise to use. Redux is pretty good. If you do not want to complicate things you can try and customizer.
I recommend Option-Tree …

Acutally one more advantage of Option-Tree is the validation using Them Check. It returned 0 errors :-)

125 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Romania
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
bucur says

Redux and others have small errors but Option-Tree is good,,,

1242 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

Hey,

I’m using OT and I really like it. It’s easy to use and Derek and some other contributors are working fine on it.

I didn’t have any problems with it in my themes.

Cheers,
Iman

1135 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Using get_option is not productive and for this reason many authorsimplement a custom function and save all options in a single multidimensional array. So you have to call get_option only one time and get everything in a custom function. Also this allows to keep the wp_option table clean.

Using globals everytime is not necesary if you create a custom function. I personally try to use global as little as possible. Anyways, here’s how I did it in SMOF some time ago:
function smk_get_option($option_name, $default=""){
   global $smof_data;
   return (isset($smof_data[$option_name])) ? $smof_data[$option_name] : $default;
}
16 posts
  • Located in Spain
gerardbm says

Using get_option is not productive and for this reason many authorsimplement a custom function and save all options in a single multidimensional array. So you have to call get_option only one time and get everything in a custom function. Also this allows to keep the wp_option table clean. Using globals everytime is not necesary if you create a custom function. I personally try to use global as little as possible. Anyways, here’s how I did it in SMOF some time ago:
function smk_get_option($option_name, $default=""){
   global $smof_data;
   return (isset($smof_data[$option_name])) ? $smof_data[$option_name] : $default;
}

This is totally helpful for me, thank you!

I will do the same using OT :)

by
by
by
by
by
by