12 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Nobleman says

Hi,

I’ve bought a few themes lately and was wondering which programs the authors use to create all those comments and stuff.

For example: <!--begin container --> <div id="container"> <!--begin intro --> <div id="intro"> <!--begin header_wrapper --> <header id="header_wrapper"> <!--begin header --> They could be doing it manually, but somehow I think there must be a way of automating some of it, and also the code is so nice and clean, doesn't look like it was done manually. Thanks</div></div>
153 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+1 more
ThemeToast says

I type that stuff out. I use visual studio.

I love indenting and writing everything myself. I’ve never heard of a program that does that for you – for custom stuff that is.

92 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+6 more
RescueThemes says

It’s manually typed.

If you’re asking which program we use to code it, then I’m using Sublime Text 2. The Zen Coding (Emmitt) extension helps make it easier to write repeating elements.

413 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
mitdralla says

As a Software engineer and web dev/designer. It is done manually. Yes of course there are some tools which CAN help with that stuff but it will be way to generic. Clean readable code is so awesome. And you need to do it yourself to make it look amazing.

There are coding standards to follow which help out drastically for universal understanding and cleanliness.

Here is an example for PHP: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/accepted/PSR-2-coding-style-guide.md

Also, there are tools like JS beautifier: http://jsbeautifier.org/ which will format your code nice and clean.

But comments, are unique and should be done by hand.

I use PHPStorm and WebStorm: http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Tim

40 posts
Level_1_Media says

I messed around with adobe muse, but its really pointless, you have to code manually or else you wont have total control. Sublime test 2 is the way to go mate.

70 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
DareToGeek says

I use Sublime Text 2, absolutely love it! And I do the comments manually, I think everyone does. @Level_1_media I also checked out the adobe tools they have now. I don’t like them either, doing things manually is the way to go. It gives more control, and that feeling when you just start on a blank page and end up with something awesome :) Love it!

742 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+7 more
josweb says

I hand code from start to finish… I’ve used PageSpinner for years but I’m going to take a look at Sublime Text 2 now! :)

12 posts
Nobleman says

Thank you for all the comments and answers. I agree, writing the code manually is much better and results in clean beautiful code, like furniture and clothing.

But you have to be a pro to do it right.

1679 posts Building the Web.
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
ZoomIt says

In WebStorm or Netbeans you just press COMMAND + / and voila! the line or selected block becomes commented. I could not live without this feature :D

Also, there is a formatting function, I use that and do not worry to format my code. And there are also options to customize the formatting,

by
by
by
by
by
by