62 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
mbianchi27 says

I am looking for the best Windows Laptop for Web Design & Development.

I have currently been looking at the Dell XPS 17 and the HP Envy 17, which both have it’s pros and cons.

So I would like to get opinions on this topic from everyone on which laptop they recommend is the best in performance, quality and suitability.

Thanks

NechitaPaulFlavius
NechitaPaulFlavius Recent Posts Threads Started
311 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+2 more
NechitaPaulFlavius says

I think you will get a lot of different opinions since there are a lot of machines that run Windows.

My suggestion is stick to HP or DELL (I like the HP new designs because they resemble to MacBooks ) and customise yourself a new tech laptop.As for a configuration , I think it’s best if you pick that up on your own, because some might like AMD others Intel and so on.Think for a second what you want, not what others use.I might have a better PC than you have but that doesn’t mean you should think and do the same.

Hope you don’t ger me wrong.I would love to tell you my opinion on what is the best laptop but I feel that you should find that out.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

I own this. I’m pretty happy with it. Around 1.100€. The only issue is that battery life is promoted to be 3hrs. in normal usage, but is far from being real (think around 1h. bit more using it with a normal screen contrast).

56 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
libra-online says

same here mate :) if you have good coding abilities you can code on a netbook too and still produce quality work.

i would stay away from hp though, everytime i had hp, it was a nightmare to find drivers, and then install them. hp just makes it too complicated. the best experience i had was with asus, acer, sony and dell. also IMO asking for a “best laptop to do webdesign” is like asking for the best car to go shopping to the nearest mall.

just look for quality and you will be fine. also you should look for a good battery lifetime, if you plan to work while traveling. if it is too big, it defeats the purpose of being portable enough, so if you want to work on it at home, consider a desktop machine.

that is my 2 cents, hope you will find it useful. also more info as to why you want a notebook, and what are your working conditions would help.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

Like Paul said, you’ll get a lot of different opinions about this.

For me personally, I used Dell for years until I got sick of them crapping out on me. Don’t get me wrong, Dell would always replace the parts for me and get things running again but it’s such a hassle.

Anyway, this year I switched to Asus. Best decision ever.

57 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
Networksavvy says

same here mate :) if you have good coding abilities you can code on a netbook too and still produce quality work.

i would stay away from hp though, everytime i had hp, it was a nightmare to find drivers, and then install them. hp just makes it too complicated. the best experience i had was with asus, acer, sony and dell. also IMO asking for a “best laptop to do webdesign” is like asking for the best car to go shopping to the nearest mall.

just look for quality and you will be fine. also you should look for a good battery lifetime, if you plan to work while traveling. if it is too big, it defeats the purpose of being portable enough, so if you want to work on it at home, consider a desktop machine.

that is my 2 cents, hope you will find it useful. also more info as to why you want a notebook, and what are your working conditions would help.

Drivers are not an issue with Windows 7 and HP for the most part. The two companies share driver development aside from select peripherals.

Stick to HP or Dell. A better one might be to get a HP Business range instead of the Home User range. They tend to have better specs and bigger screens. Not quite as attractive for better laptops.

340 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
Artorius says

I am currently using an ACER laptop and the only thing that bothers me is the viewing angle of the screen. If I had had the info about this, probably I would have looked for another model :)

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

I’ve heard Toshiba are really good, stay clear of Dell since you’d have to replace the RAM , HD and battery since they suck. Not sure about HP, never had one.

If you can afford it i’d actually recommend a MBP with Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. I get good 6-8 hours out of it working it pretty hard and you can also test how all your things work on OSX then as well…

Plus, they’re gorgeous to type on :)

2441 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

I have one Toshiba and 2 HP laptops.

I’ll stay away from Toshiba in the future (personal preference), but most definitely recommend HP (I have a DV6t SE bought from the US HP store, customized – gorgeous and powerful).

The thing that bugs me about HP is that they come loaded with a lot of crap-ware. I’ve always had to do a fresh install of Windows so that I feel more in control :D

So, if I were in the US like you and had to buy a laptop, I’d go to shopping.hp.com, customize a powerful model, google for coupon codes (got about $350 off my order this way) and have fun :)

484 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+1 more
omarabid says

I got a 13’’ Dell Vostro (two months ago). I’m happy with it. It’s good and nothing wrong until this point. My first experience, though.

by
by
by
by
by
by