66 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+2 more
mbianchi27 says

I have one Toshiba and 2 HP laptops.

I’ll stay away from Toshiba in the future (personal preference), but most definitely recommend HP (I have a DV6t SE bought from the US HP store, customized – gorgeous and powerful).

The thing that bugs me about HP is that they come loaded with a lot of crap-ware. I’ve always had to do a fresh install of Windows so that I feel more in control :D

So, if I were in the US like you and had to buy a laptop, I’d go to shopping.hp.com, customize a powerful model, google for coupon codes (got about $350 off my order this way) and have fun :)

That’s what I did. Thanks for all the comments, I ended up ordering a HP Envy 17, pretty much maxed out on gear, a docking station and a 27” monitor. I also found a $400 off coupon, which helped out a lot.

If anyone needs the coupon codes for hp Click on this link

4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+10 more
Reaper-Media says

No matter what brand or laptop someone gets, it’s always best to get rid of the crappy partition table they setup on your hdd and reinstall the OS, if you are experienced enough. In most cases you’ll gain about 10GB of HDD space, don’t forget the brand new registry not filled up with loads of trial software crap. Although you should only really do this if you have discs with all the drivers and utilities on.

Also, just a heads up; Microsoft allow you to freely switch between the x64 and x32 versions of windows 7 (via reinstallation) . All it will involve is your windows 7 serial number, a disc with the OS on, and an automated phone call to a freephone number.

Glad to know you’ve found the right laptop for you, I personally would have recommended a dell vostro, they are beautiful machines and very nice to type on. I’ve got the 17” silver one with mid specs and run 3 screens off it when at home. I also get a good 3 hours battery life when not in power saver mode, and only with the 6 cell battery.

I’ve heard Toshiba are really good, stay clear of Dell since you’d have to replace the RAM , HD and battery since they suck. Not sure about HP, never had one.
I used to say that, although that’s less true now. In my personal opinion, the quality of toshiba laptops have gone downhill and are a lot more tacky, and dell laptops do now cone with very decent specs so you don’t need to immediately replace the components.

If you can afford it i’d actually recommend a MBP with Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp. I get good 6-8 hours out of it working it pretty hard and you can also test how all your things work on OSX then as well…

Bootcamping windows 7 on a MBP is a very popular option now and makes a lot of sense, MBP are gorgeous machines!

For anyone else interested in buying a new laptop, here’s my advice:

• DEFINATELY check out the dell vostro!
  • Also, no matter which brand you are browsing, definitely check out the business laptops, they generally come with decent enough specs to run games on too.
  • If you are not bothered about looks, check out lenovo, they’re not the nicest looking machines, but they’re cheap and bloody reliable!!!
  • Acer, I wouldn’t recommend them, everyone who I’ve ever known who has had an acer has not been impressed, they are very flimsy machines and the quality of the hardware is not the best. A mate of mine had an acer which needed 3 repairs in 6 months before dying, normal usage too! :-o
  • Sony are expensive, but decent quality machines.
  • Toshiba aren’t as good as they used to be.
  • Dell are getting better and better, as are HP from what I’ve heard.
  • Don’t rule out the lesser known brands, eg take a look at acer’s product line.
  • Lastly, check out reviews of all the laptops you shortlist before buying! ;)
413 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
altinkum says

go for toshiba always

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

First thing to get ditched when we buy any PC or Laptop is Nortons !!!

God it’s like a frikken virus getting shot of it, annoys the crap out of me why the pricks bundle it with new hardware

1678 posts Building the Web.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
ZoomIt says

* Acer, I wouldn’t recommend them, everyone who I’ve ever known who has had an acer has not been impressed, they are very flimsy machines and the quality of the hardware is not the best. A mate of mine had an acer which needed 3 repairs in 6 months before dying, normal usage too! :-o

• Don’t rule out the lesser known brands, eg take a look at acer’s product line.

:D

But yeah, I agree, you can’t go wrong with MBP + Win 7. From what I tested, the battery last longer then on OSX .

Also, HP are reliable laptops.

1148 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

For me personally, I used Dell for years until I got sick of them crapping out on me. Don’t get me wrong, Dell would always replace the parts for me and get things running again but it’s such a hassle.

I just had a Dell die on me after just 2 years. Unfortunately, it only had a 1 year warranty so I had to buy a new one. Still, at just $499, I’d rather just replace them than buy a MacBook Pro for $2000+

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
jahimmyess says

Lots of choices and most of them are good. But hey I’m an Asus fan; so if you want a powerful notebook, opt for their gaming rigs G-series (G53, G73 ) or their multimedia N-series (N53, N73 ).The main difference between the two is the video card. G-series has more powerful GPU .

Unfortunately Asus loads a TON of crapware in their notebooks (to make notebooks cheaper I guess). Fresh install is a must. :P

by
by
by
by
by
by